Universal handlebar gadget mount
by Peetz0r, published
This is a mount created to attach gadgets (like smartphones) to teh handlebar of a bicycle.
The attached STL file has the dimensions of the Jiayu G3 and a 25mm diameter handlebar. These values can be customized in the openscad file.
It works best with a silicon or rubber case for your gadget which provides enough grip. The dimensions tn the openscad file is including the case. Remember: everything on a bicycle vibrates.
The version on the photos is not exactly the same as the model. I replaced the (tiny) screwhole with intentations for tie-wrap, to make it more universal.
- Measure your the width and depth of your gadget, including a rubber or silicon case. Maybe adjust the numbers down a little bit, ymmv.
- Measure the diameter of your handlebar. Maybe add a few milimeters to add a piece of rubber-ish material.
- Change the values in the openscad file, and axport to stl
- See if your gadget fits inside. If it doesn't, increase the values in #1. If it does fit, but falls out too quickly, decrease those values.
- See if the mount fits around your bicycle handlebar. If it doesn't, increase the value in #2. If it does, see if you can use a tie-wrap to secure it. If it doesn't move, you're done. If it still moves, then you could either add a piece of rubber-ish material, or decrease the value in #2.
- Test your gadget in its new spot. Google Maps on Android has decent navigation for cyclists. The front-facing camera can also be very interesting (altough the vibration and wind can make the microphone useless).