Ultimaker extruder gear upgrade
by xifle, published
I was not very happy with the existing designs as their teeth profiles didn't match the motor gear or they were non-symmetrical or it wasn't possible to fasten the stepper screws with the wheel mounted...
So I decided to start from scratch and build a new one.
- Very good fitting to the stepper pinion. It has involute teeth, matching the distance of the axes and the numbers of teeth.
- You can use this wheel with only one washer between the bearing and the gear to get maximum tooth contact area. (However opening the extruder clamp can be a bit tricky if you assembled it to close...)
- Fastening of stepper screws possible
- The backlash is very small if the stepper motor is aligned properly (might increase retraction quality)
- M8 Nut should fit in nicely.
- Design makes it a very rigid structure (even @20% infill)
- Prints without support material
10.05.2013: Now with thicker teeth. Can be printed without support material and no need for second variant. Thanks to Noctis for the hint!
Note: photos are outdated (they show version 1)
29.04.2013: Added second stl file for use with two washers. This one is easily printable without support material and has no clearance grooves.
Recent Commentsview all
well done! :-)
Thank you very much! I just hoped someone else found this useful... :)
To the handle: I think it's usability is questionable with the current design - it might be very difficult to access the handle from all directions, especially if the printer is not accessible from all sides... When I turn my extruder wheel manually I grasp it at the teeth which works quite good although not being very comfortable either... What I thought about are some kind of "smooth teeth" next to actual gear.. But I'm lacking time to put more effort into this idea and don't know if it's even really necessary ;)
I created one, It took less time than I tought. Let me know what you think about it :)
Your gear still works great, this is one of the best things I have downloaded so far!
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
20 % infill is enough, layer height is not critical.
Mount it with the flat side facing outwards. The photos show an older version of the wheel.
You must be logged in to post a comment.