Ultimaker Adjustable Fan Duct
by jwags55, published
I added a rib to the interior of the duct to increase rigidity where it was a little weak due to the how it is printed. I also added some "flats" to hold the hex nuts in position to make assembly easier. I also removed a bit of material "here and there" to lighten it up a bit.
Owen published his source Autodesk Inventor CAD file which is a great design - Thanks! The modified Inventor and STEP files are included as well.
Recent Commentsview all
Actually I used your fan duct for months (see last picture on http://www.tridimake.com/2013/... ) But I printed it in nylon, and the material itself adds a small unwanted warping that makes it work so well in the end that I need no nut at all to secure it, and it never slipped!
Now I like the ears of this derivative, b/c it is probably faster to put in place (I just hate those 4 huge screws!)
I see your point about being able to access the two screws from the front. As for the tight nut-catchers, I'll try that again when I next get a chance, though as long as the nut is in rough position, a finger holds it in place easily while you start threading the bolt.
WRT the duct outlet, I was thinking about this myself and it occurred to me that making the outlet modular might be an interesting thing to try.
In other words, have the outlet end in a rectangular, horizontal duct, perhaps with a detent hole on the bottom surface about 1cm from the lip of the duct.
Then you could print different nozzles that slide into the duct and have a little bump that goes into the detent hole and latches the part solidly into place (though TBH, the friction fit will probably be fine). Another way to do it would be small holes in both parts that let you use a small screw.
This would allow people to print and test all sorts of different outlet designs, and simply hot-swap them without removing the fan mounting.
MadOverloard - Thanks for the feedback. I've been considering modifying the airflow design for a while now. I didn't change any of the airflow design from Owen's layout - I only added a few tweaks to the how it is attached.
* The hex nuts for attaching the fan are tight. That was by design, so I didn't actually have to hold the nuts in place while inserting the screw. I just used a needle-nosed pliers to press them into the hex retainers.
* The non-reinforced side of the duct is a bit thin, but printed out very well on my print. I could be some variations in our slicer settings. I could look at that for a Version 2.
* I liked the ability to access both screws from the front of the UM, so I that's why the nut-retainers are designed as such. I do like the idea of placing the nut-retainers on both sides to give the users an option.
* Airflow to the right side is a problem for me as well for some prints. I've been considering a few different options. In the end, it is important (for me) that the design is as light as possible.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
I printed at 75 mm/s, 0.1 mm layer height.
You must be logged in to post a comment.