by tbuser, published
Stamp your things with a recycling code!
Inspired by a comment on this article suggesting we have a subroutine that printed a recycling mark on every part we make: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/04/polite-houseguests-print-and-repair.html
- Set font to Bitstream Vera Sans, font size 144
- Add text, press CTRL-U to enter unicode code number for the type of plastic, ABS is type 7 so it's code is 2679, press enter. See codes at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code
- Select symbol, right click, object properties give it a name like recycle, click set
- File -> Save As -> EPS, check convert texts to paths, limit export to object with id set in previous step
- Run: pstoedit -dt -f dxf:-polyaslines recycle_7.eps recycle_7.dxf
- Plug it into recycle_maker.scad, might need to play with the origin and scale to get it into a nice size, compile it to an stl and use something like Pleasant3D or ReplicatorG to center it
- Now you can stamp it into your model like I did in recycleinate.scad!
PS: I had to simplify and remesh the dalek model in meshlab in order to get openscad to process it correctly. I put the recycle logo on the bottom, so download it or view it in thingiview in order to see it.
PPS: not all recylcing centers will recycle type 7 plastics, check with them to make sure they take ABS. Type 7 is a catch all code and includes PLA, but PLA isn't recyclable, it's compostable (in comercial composting facilities that is).
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
RECYCLINATE! by tbuser is licensed under the Public Domain license.
What does this mean?
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure tbuser would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).