Universal Camera Phone/Microscope Adapter
by ggoss, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This adapter allows you to securely attach almost any phone to almost any microscope for capturing still images or video, or for use as a digital display.
After several iterations and much testing, I came upon this design. The deep eyepiece clamps allow for focus adjustment, as the optimal distance from a phone camera to a microscope eyepiece can vary. The disconnected eyepiece clamps allow for adjustment to fit a wide range of eyepiece diameters. Lastly, the sliding phone supports allow the adapter to fit a broad range of phones (pictured is a Nexus 4, though larger or smaller phones also fit).
I designed the adapter myself, tested it along with my PI, and borrowed the 'knobby knob' from Thing #26752.
If you have any questions or requests, feel free to ask!
Print copies of each part:
- Print one copy of the adapter body. The non-flipped version will fit the vast majority of phones, but a flipped version is provided just in case. If you are unsure, look at the back of your phone; if your camera is on the left, then use the non-flipped version (e.g. for all Nexus phones, Galaxy-series phones, iPhones, and most others), otherwise, use the flipped version. A file exported directly from OpenSCAD (from the rev4a SCAD file) will have some non-manifold edges, so a corrected STL is also provided (rev4b).
- Print one copy (each) of the outer and inner clamps.
- Print three copies of the sliding support.
- Print five knobs, of either variety. I printed three of the round knobs, and two of the knobby knobs. Bear in mind that the knobby knobs are much easier to tighten (not necessary on the sliding supports).
Attach the body to the inner clamp using ABS juice (if the adapter was printed from ABS). In a pinch, epoxy or superglue may be used instead. If your print bed is large enough, you might prefer to print these as one object instead. If anyone is interested, I will upload an STL with these parts merged together.
Obtain (3) 1.25" #6-32 machine screws, (2) 4" #6-32 machine screws, and (10) #6-32 nuts. My local Home Depot doesn't sell #6-32 screws longer than 2.5" individually, but I did find the 4" ones as part of a set of toggle bolts which I bought for less than 1 USD.
Attach each knob to the corresponding screw by sliding the screw through the hole (the hole might need to be drilled out slightly, depending on the calibration of your printer), and threading the nut onto the other end. Using a pair of pliers (on the nut) and a screwdriver, tighten the screw head into the indentation in the knob (a drill might help speed up this process).
Drill out the holes in the eyepiece clamps and sliding supports slightly so that the screws can move freely within them. I think I used a 1/8" drill bit for this.
Placing each remaining nut into the corresponding nut trap, assemble the remaining parts as shown in the pictures.
If desired, add Sugru (moldable silicone) to the insides of the eyepiece clamps and sliding supports for better grip.
- Take some beautiful pictures!
Tip: if the edges of your images are fuzzy, try loosening the adapter and moving it up and down until they are focused to a hard edge. Tighten.
Universal Camera Phone/Microscope Adapter by ggoss is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving ggoss a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure ggoss would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).