Loading

ForceBoard.com's ultimate levelling geometry

by ForceBoard, published

ForceBoard.com's ultimate levelling geometry by ForceBoard Apr 26, 2013

Description

With this levelling geometry, you will be able to fine-tune your Replicator 2 beyond fine-tuning. It is also very fast to print.

I print it with a layer height of 0.2mm using 1 shell and I always print using an SD card.

When the first layer is finished and when the first shell of the second layer has finished printing I cancel the print via the menu button on the Makerbot and pick out the build plate. I then hold the build plate against the light and study the overall smoothness of the print. I then peel off the print using a thin scraper and my fingers and make sure that all of the material is hanging togehter as one piece. You should not be able to separate the individual strands (if you can you need to bring the nozzle closer to the build plate) of the PLA material and the overall thickness should be the same for all the circular shapes. If the material is thinner for any of the circular shapes this means that the print-head nozzle is too close to the build plate.

This is the ultimate way of making sure that the Makerbot has the correct build plate screw settings!

Recent Comments

view all

I agree 100% kwalus. After upgrading my extruder, I thought that was the single best upgrade to the Replicator2 that I could make. While it does improve the reliability of the prints, the quality is about the same. After upgrading to a glass build plate, I'm convinced this is my best upgrade.

My first layer quality is about as flawless as anyone could expect. Usually every line of my first layer is completely straight and consistent with no hiccups and the overall layer finish is like a mirror. Incredible really.

Thanks for the tip on the build plate! What type of glass are you using?

Thanks this is great, I also found that the best way to keep a level build platform was to switch to glass: http://www.thingiverse.com/thi... it made a huge difference.

More from 3D Printing Tests

view more

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

One more thing which makes life alot easier when calibrating your machine - Make sure to adjust your layer height according to the layer height you actually intend to use for your print! For example: If you intend to print a part with a 0.27mm layer height and want to do a calibration before printing the part - use a layer height of 0.27mm when exporting the levelling geometry for your calibration! If you intend to print a part with a 0.15mm height, use a 0.15mm height when printing the levelling geometry!

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

kwalus on Apr 26, 2013 said:

Thanks this is great, I also found that the best way to keep a level build platform was to switch to glass: http://www.thingiverse.com/thi... it made a huge difference.

anewsome on Apr 27, 2013 said:

I agree 100% kwalus. After upgrading my extruder, I thought that was the single best upgrade to the Replicator2 that I could make. While it does improve the reliability of the prints, the quality is about the same. After upgrading to a glass build plate, I'm convinced this is my best upgrade.

My first layer quality is about as flawless as anyone could expect. Usually every line of my first layer is completely straight and consistent with no hiccups and the overall layer finish is like a mirror. Incredible really.

ForceBoard on Apr 26, 2013 said:

Thanks for the tip on the build plate! What type of glass are you using?

Top