Ultimaker 2 Aluminum Extrusion 3D printer
by jasonatepaint, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is not The Greatest UM2 Clone, no.
This is just a tribute.
This project began as a fun way to learn AutoDesk Fusion 360. I started by importing the entire Solidworks CAD file into a new Fusion 360 project, dropped the frame (walls) from the printer, built 20x20 Misumi aluminum extrusions to wrap the printer guts and then worked to build brackets to support all the parts that previously attached to the frame.
I've been printing nonstop on this new printer with the same precision and quality as my real UM2. In fact, I can use the same GCODE in either machine with identical results.
A360 Source Download Link - Use this link to download a copy of the source (in your CAD flavor).
The prices in the BOM are most likely out of date. Use the links in the BOM to find the parts. I had good experiences with all of the sellers I dealt with and found the parts to be close-to if not identical to official parts. This includes the 1.75mm version of the UM2 nozzle/heatblock.
The BOM has a breakdown to buy all the parts to build the Z-axis platform/heated bed or to buy the official UM2 heated bed kit (which is actually intended for the UMO+). The cost of getting the kit is only $15 more when you calculate the PSU and lead screw Z-axis motor. There's also a small electronics board which acts as a relay for powering the heaterboard with the 24PSU and outputing 19V for the UMO. It's not needed, but an added bonus for a future project. :-) The kit is going to be easier... but it depends on how patient and adventurous you are.
Please refer to the official Ultimaker 2 assembly instructions for assembling the gantry and print head.
Floor of the Printer
My printer is using 1/4" acrylic that I bought from Lowes and cut on a 20x12 laser cutter. I sanded the underside to create a frosted look. I would have cut it as a single piece but the laser cutter was just a tad too small. This is why it's 2 pieces joined with 3D printed connectors and screws. I have included the CorelDraw file and the floor connectors.
- Updated all Gantry parts to adjust tolerances for bearing fitment. After assembling another printer, I've found that they needed a .1mm increase.
- Updated Y-Axis Motor Mount to allow for room of the belt.
- Updated X-Axis Motor Mount to allow for screw space
New files all have _v2 prefix. Deprecated files were moved to a file called "deprecated_v1.zip.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing