Star Wars Land Speeder Scan #1
by clothbot, published
My first attempt at taking a set of photos and sending them thru http://my3dscanner.com to generate a point cloud.
I removed the windshield for scanning.
- the reflections off the semi-glossy black surface show up as "deep" points right under the land speeder.
- lesson: matte surfaces are better
- shadows make for empty zones, particularly under the rear jets.
- lesson: lighting matters
- closeup photos don't help
- lesson: take more photos at a distance instead of up close.
...much of which is captured in the http://www.my3dscanner.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=5:general-scanning-guide&Itemid=59 - General Scanning Guide, it's just interesting to see how not following those tips affects the final result.
Step 1: Download the .ply dataset.
Step 2: Open it in Meshlab.
Step 3: Do stuff to it.
Probably follow @tbuser's lead in the comments of http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:7950