Two Blade Propeller
by mechadense, published
Fitting weather vane:
This thing is fully parameterizable and meant to be customized before printing.
It is optimized for support-less printing (blades are oriented vertically)
and designed out of two parts so that even on small build-space printers pretty big propellers can be made. The appended *.stl file is only an example. Customize the model to get the biggest propeller you can print (almost twice the diagonal of your build-platform length).
One could print a lot of them as toy propellers in different colors all with different random parameters in reasonable margins and mount them on a kind of "wind sculpture".
Ideas for improvement:
Right now its just a toy but one could:
- add grooves for ball bearings
- twist the blades
- generalize to 3 or more blades (4 non-coplanar should be easy)
- alter the blade shapes to something less classic but more fancy e.g. modify the blade to a more aerodynamic shape (NACA4)
- make the blade-angle adjustable
- make a coupling for a dynamo
- add button-cell powered laser-pointers to get a free laser-show at squally new moon nights
- mount (suitable!) whistles to the tips (so your child wont be overheard when cycling), but don't forget the (slide-able?) muting plugs then.
Print diagonally on build plattform for maximal size.