Extended Kossel J-Head Mount
by mmccool, published
An extended "universal" version of the "easy adjustable" J-head mount with various improvements, including a printable Bowden clamp, option for fusion with effector, and support for one, two, or three hot-ends.
NOTE: not yet fully tested. I have printed and test-fitted, but I'm still assembling my Kossel. In particular I don't know if the Bowden clamps will be strong enough. Note also that this is appropriate for the "legacy" Kossel and will not work with the current version in the git repo, which now uses a smaller effector. Files for the legacy Kossel are at https://github.com/jcrocholl/kossel/tree/legacy. I do include (a slightly modified version of) the effector from there in my download (for visualization purposes, but also to print fused with the top plate as an option... saves three bolts and their weight).
This is a universal J-head mounting system for a Bowden cable effector for the legacy Kossel. You can mount one, two, or three hot ends. The mounting plate is universal and will work with all three versions of the insert. You can also adjust the leveling by adjusting the mounting screws. In addition, there are printable Bowden clamps. For these, pick either the single or double-high version, depending on how paranoid you are, and mount them using a countersunk bolt pushed up from underneath the plate and one or two cable ties.
WARNING: Many electronics, i.e. the RAMP1.4, only support dual extruders at most. You will have to be creative to get a third extruder working.
Improvements over the original:
- Mounting holes now line up with holes on effector.
- Recessed nut captures on bottom now have cathederal ceilings to print better
- More space around insert to allow it to be adjusted better
- Larger nut captures and holes that work with M3 bolts and nuts
- Large enough hole for either a 4mm PFTE Bowden tube or a 8mm push-mount
- Universal hole system. Note that sometimes you use a hole for a mounting pin for the insert, sometime you use it for a Bowden mount. Feel free to use any extra holes for cable management.
- Option for fused effector and mounting plate.
Update: Pictures, option for fused plate/effector.
Update 2: License for effector is GPL (see git repo referenced above), license for original mount was Creative Commons - Share Alike. I'm not sure what the resulting license should be, but for now I'm making the whole thing Creative Commons - GPL, which I believe is more restrictive. However, really everything but effector.scad, configuration.scad, and fused_plate.stl should be Creative Commons - Share Alike. Someone please correct me in the comments. I suppose I should split out the files with the GPL license into a separate thing...