Replicator 2X Heated Platform Extension Cable
by Jake, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Extension cable for the Replicator 2X heated build platform. Designed to allow the connectors to be above the floor of the chamber, so that you can remove the platform without needing to access the underside of the machine.
- (Qty 1) Digikey WM7992-ND Molex SL Connector Header 4POS Vertical Through Hole
- (Qty 1) Digikey WM4583-ND Molex SL Connector FFC Female 4POS .100 TIN
- (Qty 1) Digikey WM1324-ND Connector Plug 2 Position .093
- (Qty 1) Digikey WM1331-ND Connector Receptical 2 Position .093
- (Qty 2) Digikey WM3731CT-ND Molex Connector Terminal .093 Female Tin 14-20AWG
- (Qty 2) Digikey WM3729CT-ND Molex Connector Terminal Male Pin .093 Tin 14-18AWG
- Wires of appropriate guage and length
A 4-position Molex SL connector isused for the thermocouple connector. The one I chose is not designed to be a connector at the end of a cable-- rather it is intended to be through hole soldered. Hence, the backshell, a means of mounting the connector at the end of the cable with appopriate strain releif.
There is a cable-end housing that mates with these connectors (WM6676-ND) but it involves crimping individual pins. I wanted a solution that involved a manageable amount of mangling crimp pins with needle nose pliers, since most do not have the crimp tool. I thought it easier to solder the connector than deal with tiny crimp pins.
The thermistor is 100k-Ohm, so I think that extending the wires a bit should not affect the accuracy of the temperature reading.
Install the MALE molex connector on the end of the original heated build platform power wire. The extension cable provides the FEMALE connector, making a quick connect/disconnect for the power wire.
Make sure you know what you're doing before you install this. I have not yet installed mine yet. Your mileage my vary. Proceed at your own risk.
Print the backshell, install connectors on wires. I routed mine through some black tygon tubing to make it similar to the original HBP umbilical.
I used acetone to seal the backshell. (And kind of made a mess of things) You might want to use another method.
Replicator 2X Heated Platform Extension Cable by Jake is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Jake a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Jake would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).