Loading

Stevenson screen for wireless meteorological sensor

by Galto2000, published

Stevenson screen for wireless meteorological sensor by Galto2000 May 4, 2013

Description

A Stevenson screen is an outdoor shelter for your meteorological sensors, such as those that come along with your electronic home weather station. The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) agreed standard for the height of the screen is between 1.25 m (4ft 1 in) and 2 m (6ft 7 in). Its purpose is to provide a standardized environment in which to measure temperature, humidity, dew point and atmospheric pressure. The louvered design allows for the instrument to be sheltered from direct sunlight and rain, yet air is able to flow through the screen unrestricted.

Recent Comments

view all
Do you have .scad files available for this? I like this screen better than the other here on Thingiverse, but I still need to modify it some. My sensor doesn't have a hole to hang it from like yours, just a circular tab that friction fits into its own tiny screen, and I hang my current plastic-bowls-hacked-into-a-screen from the top, not mounted on a pole.
Was curious if you could possibly attach source files for these components?
A photovoltaic cell only converts about 10% of the collected solar energy to electricity, so the remaining 90% is converted to heat. Placing a photovoltaic cell directly onto the Stevenson screen is therefore strongly discouraged as it would no longer provide a standardized environment, unless perhaps if you properly thermo-isolate it.

What I would do is create a separate component to carry your solar cell, and which you could attach to the pole (as the one shown in the first picture) beneath the Stevenson screen.

More from 3D Printing

view more

Makes

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

Print out one top-part and one bottom-part, and then as many middle-parts as necessary. The parts are designed to snap together (inspired by tbuser's Pin Connectors), so no tools required for assembly. The Stevenson screen is designed to be placed on a pole; one wood-screw and a washer required. The pole in the pictures is a Kelleher 6 ft white vinyl coated closet pole acquired from a local home improvement store.

IMPORTANT: Please print in WHITE color in accordance to the WMO agreed standard.
Do you have .scad files available for this? I like this screen better than the other here on Thingiverse, but I still need to modify it some. My sensor doesn't have a hole to hang it from like yours, just a circular tab that friction fits into its own tiny screen, and I hang my current plastic-bowls-hacked-into-a-screen from the top, not mounted on a pole.
Was curious if you could possibly attach source files for these components?
I am looking at this for my outside temperature sensor. Need to think how to mount a small solar panel that I use to save batteries. could be incorporated as part of the usual double skinned top plate.
A photovoltaic cell only converts about 10% of the collected solar energy to electricity, so the remaining 90% is converted to heat. Placing a photovoltaic cell directly onto the Stevenson screen is therefore strongly discouraged as it would no longer provide a standardized environment, unless perhaps if you properly thermo-isolate it.

What I would do is create a separate component to carry your solar cell, and which you could attach to the pole (as the one shown in the first picture) beneath the Stevenson screen.
Top