Series I Land Rover SWB
by schlem, published
Land Rover entered production in 1948 with what was later termed the Series I. This was launched at the Amsterdam Motor Show. It was originally designed for farm and light industrial use, and had a steel box-section chassis, and an aluminum body.
This is roughly based on the original 1959 Moko Lesney Matchbox toy, #12, Land Rover 86 inch wheelbase AKA SWB. A longer wheelbase (107 inches) was also available. http://www.bamca.org/cgi-bin/single.cgi?id=RW12a While I can't duplicate the finish of the original die cast, I can add details like spare tyres for mounting on the bonnet or rear bulkhead. There are two versions of the short-wheelbase body, one with a driver and one without.
If you haven't seen "The Gods Must Be Crazy" stop whatever you are doing and find, steal, or download (maybe all three) the movie. Here's a little snippet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxCJL6GGsdE
UPDATE 4/6/13 I have uploaded a double-sized version of the driverless Series I SWB, in several files. It is twice the size of the original Matchbox model, with upgraded Non-Directional-Tread (NDT) on the tires, a dubious vanity on my part. Some dimensions have been altered to better reflect a generic 86 inch wheelbase Series I - They came in a variety of subtly different styles. The bigger wheels necessitates bigger axles and retainers (hubs), included in the new plates. The fit is tight; you might want to drill out the wheels a bit.
Also, all the embellishments precipitated some non-manifoldness - which I easily solved using the Netfabb cloud fixing tool - you can too: http://www.netfabb.com/news.php
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license. This license applies only to the files and documents available for download from the Thing Files section of this Thing.
All other related content (photographs, videos, and verbiage such as contained in "Description" or "Instructions" ) are excluded from this license. with all rights reserved, unless specifically available for download This notice constitutes a clarification, not a change, to licensing for this design.
Recent Commentsview all
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
Some assembly required. I used 3 mm filament as axles, glued in place and trimmed flush with the side of the body (see picture). Careful, don't scratch the Birmabrite! The tyres should be chased with an 1/8-inch drill bit prior to fitting to the axles, the end of the filament "peened" by melting with a hot implement. I used a screw with a suitable concavity in the end of the threaded bit. Super glue seems to work very well with ABS, and I used it to fix the spare tyres to the bonnet or the rear bulkhead (early Land Rovers NEVER carried spares on the quarter panel or tailgate like a Jeep). The windscreen can be fixed vertically or horizontally (or omitted), as per your mood (should have a jaunty rake). I hope to eventually model a hardtop for winter or livery use - removable of course.
Small version printed with 50% infill, larger version with 25%
NDT tyres updated 5-9-13 to fix symmetry problem.
5-20-13 If you have problems getting the large version of the tyres and axles to print, Thingiversian jeromemaurey has corrected the tyre plate here: ://www.thingiverse.com/thing:91441 Thanks!
Fix incorporated into double-sized plates. Thanks again!