Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!

Socketed R2D2 Utility Arm

by spurgco, published

Socketed R2D2 Utility Arm by spurgco May 5, 2013

Thing Info

3447Views 1220Downloads Found in Props
Report Thing


Based on the STL's from WThierry, I printed one of the arms for my Droid.
I found this guy's site just when I got my CNC up, and immediately started making my first droid. His site was immensly helpful in understanding design, CNC, and CAM.
I printed one of the parts from the original STL. It seemed a little short on the middle part, and I can see issues when mounting the claw at the right angle.
I threw the designs into sketchup, and modified the stl's in the following fashion;
Middle part, or Base - lengthen a few mm's, and built a socket into one side. This will mate with the claw element, with enough room to allow movement to get the angle right for your droid.
Claw - lengthened the claw to fit into the socket, thats it.
I printed a couple of these and I am waiting for the epoxy to fully dry, but my test fits have been to my satisfaction.
Next will be sand, fill, prime, paint.

Thanks again Wes for the STL's and the inspiration =)


Print the original UtilityArmPc1 top and bottom from Wes.
Print UtilityArm PC3 top/bottom, and UTS Base Part B/A v3
I used E6000, and some clamps to join each set. PC3 top/bottom, the Base A/B, PC1 top/bottom. Once I have these three parts, I joined PC1 to Base. At this point I would recommend filling/sanding/priming/finishing. of these two parts together. I will fill/sand/prime/finish the claw separate, and join within the cavity to ensure the angle matches the body.
I believe it would be warranted to mount the Base/PC1 combo to ensure the position you are working from on the Claw., but hey-your droid.

More from Props

view more

Thing Info

3447Views 1220Downloads Found in Props
Report Thing

Liked By

View All

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

All Apps

This extension connects Thingiverse with Makeprintable, a cloud-based mesh repair service that analyzes, validates and repairs most common mesh errors that can occur when preparing a 3D design file...

App Info Launch App

Thanks Wes :)