Paraboloid OpenSCAD Script
by Ablapo, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
Ever wanted a elliptic paraboloid solid for OpenScad? Here it is!
What is a parabolic reflector good for?
Solar cookers, parabolic microphones, satellite dishes, spotlights reflector
Parabolic reflectors focus parallel rays at a focus point (e.g. sun rays).
And it can make circular rays at the focus point go parallel in one direction (spotlight).
It seems to be "similar" to the nose cone design of aircraft and model rockets, too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_cone_design
To create a paraboloid choose following parameters:
- height (y); This defines the vertical height
- focus length (f); This defines the distance of the focus point from the top
- radius of focus area (rfa); You can have a focus circle (rfa>0) instead of a focus point (rfa=0)
- center focus center (fc); Choose the center on top (fc=0) or center in focus point (fc=1)
- fine structure (detail) ; defines the numbers of subdivisions - $fn
How to print the paraboloid example:
Print it with support structure for best results.
Slice it with 3 perimeters, no top, no bottom, no infill.
For some light experiments:
You can try to cover the inner surface with a reflecting material.
You can insert a stick into the small opening on top.
Paraboloid OpenSCAD Script by Ablapo is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Ablapo a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Ablapo would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.