Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
00str00der Belt driven extruder
by iquizzle, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
The 00str00der is a belt driven extruder designed via collaboration between myself and Terawatt Industries (http://store.terawattindustries.com/77-00str00der-belt-driven-extruder.html). The extruder can be made to work with a variety of printers. It is the standard extruder for the new PrismX 3d printer.
Here is a video of it in action on the PrismX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vMh1Gb-snw
The 00str00der is compatible with the kuehling x-carriage mounts via the included mounting adapter plate. OpenSCAD source files are available on github (https://github.com/iquizzle/00str00der). Pulley sizes are parametric so that any size can be used. There are options for mounting either a j-head or push-to-connect tube adapters for Bowden extrusion. "Standard" M8 hobbed bolts can be spaced to work with the 00str00der. Slotted motor mounts accommodate NEMA17 motors, and allow belt tensioning.
Parts can be self-sourced online, but kits will also be available through Terawatt Industries. For the moment, I recommend getting the parts you need by supporting their kickstarter campaign!
- GT2 pulley - 5mm bore (16T standard, 36T bowden)*
- GT2 pulley - 8mm bore (65T standard, 60T bowden)*
- GT2 belt (88T standard, 94T bowden)*
- other sizes can be used with custom openSCAD compilation
- 608 bearings (I used 3x total, including the one for the wade's idler to properly space the hobbing, this could be different for you depending on where the hob is on your bolt)
- M4x50 screws for clamping the M4 wade's idler
- standard wade's hardware
- 4mm x 1/8 NPT push-to-connect (bowden only)
- Print off the 00str00der block that works with your choice of belt and pulleys (~1h on my MendelMax).
- Drill/cut out the slot for the filament hole (2 solid layers by default for better printing)
- Loosely mount the NEMA17 motor, attach small bore pulley
- Place the hobbed bolt in the bolt hole with 608 bearings on either side, use spacers to line up the hobbing as necessary.
- Clamp the large bore pulley onto the hobbed bolt
- Put the belt onto the pulleys and push the motor back in the slot to tension the belt
I may do some more experimentation with gearing ratios for the bowden setup. I will continue to add STLs here and update code on github as improvements are made. For now, I'm listing this as a work in progress. The design has been tested and it is working great, but it may need a few tweaks before I'm ready to call it a done deal.
00str00der Belt driven extruder by iquizzle is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving iquizzle a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure iquizzle would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).