Loading

Laptop Stand with Hokusai Wave

by langfordw, published

Laptop Stand with Hokusai Wave by langfordw Aug 11, 2009

Description

My mom needed a laptop stand so I decided to make this for her Birthday tomorrow.

I really like how it came out and I love the interaction of the wave and the wood grain.

My process went something like this:
My mom's always liked Japanese prints (she grew up in Japan) and so I knew I wanted to do a Hokusai wave.

I found a creative commons image (http://nickpoint.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/the_great_wave_off_kanagawa.jpg) and imported it into Gimp. I adjusted the levels and threshold-ed it to make it just black and white. From there I played with it a bit in Inkscape using the trace bitmap tool. Eventually I ended up with what you see there.

Recent Comments

view all

Thanks for the lovely derived art! I just cut one of these and I'm using it now :) I had to add a little curve at the top to accomodate the curve on the bottom of my 11" MacBook Air (it was sliding off). But otherwise, superb!

I love Hokusai. He made some real funky stuff... like a picture of an octopus making love to a woman

haha I wish. I just documented my process in the description.

Makes

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

I had a little bit of trouble with some text that I put on the bottom connector but I got it to work after I converted it to a path and exploded it.

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

hollyhudson on Jul 2, 2013 said:

Thanks for the lovely derived art! I just cut one of these and I'm using it now :) I had to add a little curve at the top to accomodate the curve on the bottom of my 11" MacBook Air (it was sliding off). But otherwise, superb!

Anonymous on Aug 13, 2011 said:

I love Hokusai. He made some real funky stuff... like a picture of an octopus making love to a woman

eweinhoffer on Aug 12, 2009 said:

That wave design is super awesome!!! Did you draw it?

will on Aug 12, 2009 said:

haha I wish. I just documented my process in the description.

Top