by donb, published
Drafont is a font system for the OpenSCAD program to have Unicode characters from scalable TrueType fonts.
To make the Hi! greeting at left, do as follows:
- Download freeserif_basiclatin.scad and freeserif_cherokee.scad (see below for download links)
- Type this into Openscad:
d=12; // detail level - use 1 or 12
- Each character is a module. Chain them together for auto-positioning
- Each character can be referred to by unicode, or a 'shorthand' name
- At the top of each .scad file is a list of the characters available
- Two detail levels: 1 and 12
- You can generate your own .scad font from a Truetype font, with any detail level you want. Download the .py files, edit settings at the end of ddump.py, and run it as follows:
python ddump.py FreeSerif.ttf 0x0041-0x007a > freeserif_basiclatin.scad
python ddump.py FreeSerif.ttf 0x13a0-0x13f4 > freeserif_cherokee.scad
- If you use the same char twice in a word, you have to use two _ (underscore)
- Some complicated characters won't render properly
- It is slow
- CJK characters in FreeSerif not working
- Some fonts don't work, at all (Sawasdee)
Drafont python code & all .stl files are released under the Creative Commons Share-Alike Attribution license 3.0.
FreeSerif.ttf and the FreeSerif .scad files are under the GPL 3 license. See http://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/license.html
The Nixish .scad files are under the GUST public license:
This project is named in honor of Thomas Drake, NSA Whistleblower, whom you can read about by clicking here: http://bit.ly/mrm4q9
"Anna Akhmatova" is an example of Cyrllic and Latin text in FreeSans.
1234567890 is the font Nixish, which is derived exactly from LMRomansUnsl10
http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/glyphs/glyphs-6.html FreeType manual, David Turner et al
http://code.google.com/p/freetype-py/ Freetype-py by Nicolas Rougier
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/block/index.htm Unicode Blocks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bezier_2_big.gif Bezier Curve, Phil Tregoning, Wikipedia
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8443 William Adam's pub domain Bezier Curves
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8931 Conic Bezier Curve, donb
0.4 enable 'ranges' of unicodes to be dumped. use 'advance' from font
0.3 move openscad code
0.2 fix chunking
- download .stl file
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Drafont 0.5 by donb is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure donb would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).