Vibration Damper for Ultimaker
by maxy, published
Recent Commentsview all
i see, i'll try some out later, i'm trying my first reel of ABS atm, and replaced the bowden for a polyurethelane (spelling?) one with a 4.25mm ID...and am using the upgraded extruder so in theory the differences should only result in areas of minor over extrusion now. i also have a HBP installed.
however i gotta say this ABS experience is abyssmal, max speed that i've gotten repeated successful prints at is 16mm/s(not a typo, any faster it starts grinding the filament, with or without retraction), tried 225-260C (in 5 degree steps) checked for plugs, (taken apart and cleaned twice just in case) the wheel turns fine all all speeds, just the filament gets eaten completely above 20mm/s and 1/10 prints fail @ 20mm/s. haven't had one fail @ 16mm/s though. if u replay should probably do it in PM as i don't want to completely consume your comments area.
well think i found a good cure for bad filament providers, found some tubing from homedepot 1/4" just measured the extra tubing i bought (0.15$ per foot, bought enough to replace it twice) ID 4.25mm, OD 6.25mm didn't fit hot end quite right at first but i got it to work (single piece of painters tape added to the clamp to make up for the tiny difference that it had. been testing retraction etc on it and it holds perfect, and has enough room for even the worst providers of plastic XD. $1.00 fix for 100's(if not 1000's) of bad prints.
I had my diameter problems with gray PLA bought form Ultimaker, it measured 3.2mm suddenly somewhere in the middle of the roll. I used up a transparent (natural) PLA roll from reprapsource.com, which measured 3.0mm, but very consistent, no problems at all. Maybe you should try colorfabb too, they specify 2.85 mm +/- 0.05 mm which should give you absolutely zero issues, and they claim it's flexible almost like ABS (it indeed feels much stronger, but I never tried ABS). The PLA90 from orbi-tech.de is also very nice to print with, more flexible, has a nice rough touch, but maybe not the best for springs.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
If you print the second copy mirrored, you can start testing with the back feet.
It takes some force to assemble. The inner piece can be clicked down to the botton. Do this *after* you have forced it in place (the photo shows how to slide it in).
The springs are very stiff. The Ultimaker has all its weight at the top. If the springs are too weak it can build up oscillation. Watch out for this effect at the top, not at the springs.
After a few months, my back feet were notably bent. This was expected: when you put permanent load on PLA, it will creep over time. (ABS too, I'm told.) The design can handle creep to some extent. After 2.5 months, my back feet were lower but still lifting the weight (see photo above). The material I used was the PLA/PHA mix from colorfabb. I don't know if PHA makes creep better or worse. Anyway, creep deformations are permanent. You probably will have to switch front and back legs after half a year, and eventually reprint.
You must be logged in to post a comment.