Loading

Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures

by emnullfuenf, published

Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures by emnullfuenf May 23, 2013

Featured Thing!

Description

Joy Division's iconic cover by Peter Saville representing PSR B1919+21 waveforms.

Update:
The model made it to London Science Museum! "3D: printing the future"
science-museum-3d-printing.tumblr.com/post/64208301940/from-left-to-right-pen-holder-white-donated-by

Update:
The model from the Processing sketch wasn't manifold and i currently saw no way to improve it. Thus i rewrote the sketch in order to produce DXF files and extruded them with OpenSCAD.

Details and Processing Sketch:
i.document.m05.de/2013/05/23/joy-divisions-unknown-pleasures-printed-in-3d/

Recent Comments

view all
just add texture and 3dprint on full color 3d printer z510 )
Ditto for me about plunger fix. Huge difference. They're shipping with the fixed version these days I hear. I also think they're sending the replacements out for free (along with screws) if you ask nice enough.
how did you colored it?

More from Scans & Replicas

view more

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

Update:
The print should works now. Will test it next week.

I printed the thing with MakerWare with white PLA on Makerbot Replicator. MakerBot's Slicer results were defect. Skeinforge worked quite well. There are still errors in the print which i think are maybe Replicator's plunger's fault.
printed on zcorp z510 100x77mm

photo instagram.com/p/aI94YrkAFf/#
how did you colored it?
just add texture and 3dprint on full color 3d printer z510 )
Wow! Your prints are looking great! Our Replicator got plunger and feeding problems again. I still didn't manage to print the updated model.
You should definitely print the extruder mod, it made a big difference in long (+12 hour prints), my feeding problems stopped completely. In the meantime, using a dab of canola oil can also be helpful: groups.google.com/d/msg/makerbot/Wn-MKC1Ybm0/m3JIu7yfeQIJ
atiemann - in reply to
Ditto for me about plunger fix. Huge difference. They're shipping with the fixed version these days I hear. I also think they're sending the replacements out for free (along with screws) if you ask nice enough.
Interesting background on the scientific origins of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures cover, previous publications and their copyright status adamcap.com/2011/05/19/history-of-joy-division-unknown-pleasures-album-art/
Amazing! I want this NOW!

Linked on Sprawler: sprawler.tumblr.com
Been waiting on someone to do this. This is definitely going on my wall next to the album.
Trying to upload the STL file to Shapeways, getting an error saying the object is to big. What are the dimensions/units?
Just had the same problem. I uploaded a version that's 100mm long for Shapeways.
I wonder why they still don't support scaling.
Thanks for scaling the model, saved me some work.
The graphic was also used in "Alien" on the Nostromo's Bridge. One of the first vector graphics with obscuration.
I've been trying to print this model, but I am having trouble slicing the OBJ file. When I look at it in programs like Netfabb it appears to have a ton of errors and is not manifold. Netfabb can't repair it correctly. This also might be why you had so many errors in your slice/print.

Do you have the Processing sketch that you used to generate the OBJ file? Maybe that could be tweaked to produce a cleaner OBJ.
So. There's a new model after a complete rewrite. This should work now. I'll try it next week.
I am about to fix the errors. But i would appreciate if you would like to have a loot at the processing sketch, too:
http://i.document.m05.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Unknown_Pleasures_Extrusion.zip
Sorry I didn't see your reply until now. I will try to look at the code when I can. I know Java well, but I haven't used Processing before.
I already found another solution. Now i am exporting normalized SVG curves in Processing to DXF and extrude them in OpenSCAD.

The problem with the Processing solution is the different number of vertices of the sides and the outer wall. I am using Geomerative's polygonizer for the flat sides and the SVG's points for the outer wall.

Richard already sent me some hints. But as long as there's a working model now it's ok.
The model slices nicely now in Slic3r. I just need to get back home to my printer to print it. Thanks!
Found via Tumblr. This is great! Joy Division aside, this a 'one to print!'
Top