Glass Bottle Cutting Jig
by 4ndy, published
Adapted from a tool I saw in this video:
It's quite long so I'll try to get the point in my instructions.
Clamp a glass cutter into this setup and you'll quickly be able to turn empty wine, beer, etc. bottles into useful things such as drinking glasses.
I have an idea for how the top end of wine bottles could be used, so don't go throwing those bits away yet. Kinda building up to something here ;)
All the bolts in the diagram are M4x20mm, and there is a 30mm piece of M8 studding holding the 608 bearing in place.
- Print and bolt (or glue, melt, whatever) the parts together as per the picture.
- Fit a bearing of whatever size you like.
- Clamp a glass cutter in place.
- Adjust them so that a bottle can easily turn on the two points of contact.
- Adjust the conical plug so that the cutting wheel is at the height you want to cut away.
- Turn the bottle through ONE rotation on the blade to make a single small score all the way around.
- Carefully dribble some hot water over the score line.
- Dribble some cold water over the score line.
- Continue to alternate the last two steps until the heat stress drives the fracture through and the bottle comes apart.
- Sand/grind down any remaining sharp edges.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Glass Bottle Cutting Jig by 4ndy is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving 4ndy a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure 4ndy would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).