Export OpenSCAD paths from Adobe Illustrator
by kitlaan, published
Since Illustrator CS3 (and higher) exports only DXF R13+, it'll generate POLYLINE and other objects, which OpenSCAD does not support. By using this export plugin, you'll be able to use the path directly as a polygon().
(Supposedly CS3 plugins are loadable with CS4 and CS5.)
Recent Commentsview all
I confirm that it works in Illustrator CS5! :) You have to copy the plugin file in the right path of Illustrator (C:\program files\Adobe\Adobe illustrator 5.1\Plug-ins\Extensions) And after when you export your 2D drawing you can save it in .SCAD and extrude it from there. If you have any question ask me I'll try to help you
Â I've tried it on cs4, and it doesn't show up as an export option. I did a tiny bit of reading and it looks like they changed a lot of back end things between cs3 and cs6. maybe that broke this plugin.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
To convert curved paths into straight segments,
* Object > Path > Add Anchor Points (once or twice, or more depending on your wanted resolution)
* Object > Path > Simplify (check 'Straight Lines'; a 2% angle threshold is what I start with)
* only supports exporting the points in a path as straight line segments.
* only closed paths are exported
* hidden layers are not exported
* initial version
* polygon points are in pt units (scale down by 72/25.4 to get mm)
* polygon points now prescaled to mm.
* guide paths filtered out
* bounding box size of each polygon (and total of all) outputted as comment; (makes moving the polygon around easier to calculate)
v0.3: 2011-06-27 (uploaded 2011-07-26)
* whoops. forgot to upload the build that corresponded to the source.
* Code should be a decent example of making an Illustrator export plugin.
* There is a README.txt included which documents what you need to build. The code should be compatible with Xcode, but I don't have the environment available to try.
* Bezier interpolation support in-progress; still trying to figure out how to work it out using Illustrator APIs.
* Curved paths using bezier support (specify max curve approx angle; min between points; etc).
You must be logged in to post a comment.