Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
Export OpenSCAD paths from Adobe Illustrator
by kitlaan, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is a plugin for Adobe Illustrator (CS3, Windows) to export paths (and only straight-line paths!) to an OpenSCAD file.
Since Illustrator CS3 (and higher) exports only DXF R13+, it'll generate POLYLINE and other objects, which OpenSCAD does not support. By using this export plugin, you'll be able to use the path directly as a polygon().
(Supposedly CS3 plugins are loadable with CS4 and CS5.)
This is very preliminary; I don't expect it'll crash Illustrator (so far it hasn't), but who knows...
To convert curved paths into straight segments,
- Object > Path > Add Anchor Points (once or twice, or more depending on your wanted resolution)
- Object > Path > Simplify (check 'Straight Lines'; a 2% angle threshold is what I start with)
- only supports exporting the points in a path as straight line segments.
- only closed paths are exported
- hidden layers are not exported
- initial version
- polygon points are in pt units (scale down by 72/25.4 to get mm)
- polygon points now prescaled to mm.
- guide paths filtered out
- bounding box size of each polygon (and total of all) outputted as comment; (makes moving the polygon around easier to calculate)
v0.3: 2011-06-27 (uploaded 2011-07-26)
- whoops. forgot to upload the build that corresponded to the source.
- Code should be a decent example of making an Illustrator export plugin.
- There is a README.txt included which documents what you need to build. The code should be compatible with Xcode, but I don't have the environment available to try.
- Bezier interpolation support in-progress; still trying to figure out how to work it out using Illustrator APIs.
- Curved paths using bezier support (specify max curve approx angle; min between points; etc).
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Export OpenSCAD paths from Adobe Illustrator by kitlaan is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving kitlaan a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure kitlaan would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).