Loading

Yet Another Prusa Mendel Z Coupling

by nophead, published

Yet Another Prusa Mendel Z Coupling by nophead Jun 25, 2011

Description

Couples a 5mm motor shaft to an 8mm threaded rod, ensuring they are coaxial, but allowing some angular movement if the rod is not straight. See hydraraptor.blogspot.com/2011/06/yet-another-prusa-z-coupling.html.

Recent Comments

view all

I designed a bearing assembly that mounts to the motors screws and uses a bearing to support the load of the carriage weight and take that load off the coupler and the motors bearings. As designed, it works for motors on top, but you could flip the bearing caddy and lock a couple of nuts on the rod to sit on the bearing. Might work well in concert with your couplers.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thi...

Thanks nophead!

I used 3 layers of heat-shrink that I had available, to an OD of 7.25mm.

Wobble is gone.

This part was my first 3D print because when building my prusa I put too much presure in the standard coupler. I wish I have seen this part here before because when the part finished printing and tested on the motor shaft it was compleately loose :'(. My solution at 2am was to sand the parts so it will fit but latter I put a little piece of cardboard to hold the motor. It is working but tonight I will try to print it again and use the tubing.

Thank you nophead :-D

Liked By

view all

License

GNU - GPL
Yet Another Prusa Mendel Z Coupling by nophead is licensed under the GNU - GPL license.

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

Place some plastic tubing over the motor shaft and then clamp it with M3x20 bolts. Make sure there is no grease on the motor shaft by wiping with alcohol.

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

dzach on Jul 29, 2012 said:

Thanks nophead!

I used 3 layers of heat-shrink that I had available, to an OD of 7.25mm.

Wobble is gone.

epareja on Jun 28, 2012 said:

This part was my first 3D print because when building my prusa I put too much presure in the standard coupler. I wish I have seen this part here before because when the part finished printing and tested on the motor shaft it was compleately loose :'(. My solution at 2am was to sand the parts so it will fit but latter I put a little piece of cardboard to hold the motor. It is working but tonight I will try to print it again and use the tubing.

Thank you nophead :-D

tiagofumo on May 6, 2012 said:

my measured diameter with tubing in the motor is 6.5 - 6.6 mm ... how much it should be?

nophead on May 6, 2012 said:

It is set to 7mm in the scad file. You must have thinner tubing than me.

on Jan 6, 2012 said:

I'm using these with a rubber hose intended for using with glasses. I got mine at a rafting trip, it's a very soft, almost foam-like rubber. Even though my Z-Motors are bolted down, i get no wobble at all. :-D

jamesglanville on Dec 5, 2011 said:

Nice :) An extra advantage compared to the prusa standard is that it's usable even when printed on a poorly-calibrated printer.

PlanoRepRap on Oct 4, 2011 said:

This fixed ALL of my z-wobble / see saw. The motors do not move at all now. The only difference from this is that i use rubber tubing and clamped it down hard. It is the very tough "surgical tubing" available from medical, swimming equipment, sling-shot, etc.

The vertical corners on my prints are very nice and even now. No "repeating pattern" of slight differences any more.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Pointedstick on Oct 2, 2011 said:

Any reason for the plastic tubing on the motor shaft? I edited the .scad to make the motor coupling end a simple 5mm hole and just attached it directly to the motor.

indieflow on Oct 2, 2011 said:

Seems like you've missed one of the major improvements of this coupling! If you read the description above or nopheads hydraraptor blog you'll see that the plastic tubing is to allow for angular flexibility and help grip the smooth motor shaft!

DavidC on Sep 2, 2011 said:

For people who don't have rubber tubing lying around, I've used approx. 35mm lengths of elastic band wound round the motor shaft instead, and they seem to be working fine.

I ended up making these to replace the original prusa ones, which broke when I had a z axis crash (thankfully protecting the whole x carriage and frame from damage). This got me thinking that a version with a designed-in torque limit would work well as passive crash protection. It would be quite v
ariable depending on infill/material/calibration but if I get time I reckon I'll have a bash at making some prototypes to test the idea.

Anyway thanks for this major improvement on the original parts! :)

nophead on Sep 2, 2011 said:

If you only fit the bottom nuts in the x-ends then if you crash into the bed the nuts pop out and prevent any serious damage.

jamesmoe on Jul 3, 2011 said:

I used this version for my SAE PRUSA. I drilled out the screws to #6 and the main shaft to just under 5/16". I did this so I could press fit the motor shaft with the plastic tube over it to make it tight.

It actually worked out better than the original SAE part this is derived from. Tighter fit. Working on my first couple prints since the upgrade. So far so good!

Auzze on Jun 26, 2011 said:

Just finshed printing and fitting them to my Prusa. They work great, NO wobble at all.

I used 10mm OD PVC tube.

Thanks 8-)

nophead on Jun 26, 2011 said:

Great. Thanks for testing them for me!

Top