MakerBot Mars Base Challenge
Could you live on Mars? Certainly not without great design and engineering. That's why we, in cooperation with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, are excited to present the Makerbot Mars Base Challenge. Taking Mars’ extreme cold, high radiation levels, lack of oxygen, and frequent dust storms into consideration, design a utilitarian Mars base that can withstand the elements and maybe even make you feel at home, despite being 140 million miles away from Earth, on average.Learn more about Mars and what kind of home could actually sustain life there on the Imagine Mars site. Upload your design to Thingiverse with the tag #MakerBotMars between May 30th and June 12th. Entries must be tagged #MakerBotMars to be considered and will be judged by a subjective panel of NASA-JPL and MakerBot employees on scientific feasibility, creativity, and printability. Learn more about Mars at the Mars Facts site.
Deadline: Jun 12, 2014 11:59 PM EDT
Total Entries: 212
How to Enter
HOW: Design a utilitarian Mars base and upload it to Thingiverse with the tag #MakerBotMars. Enter before Friday, June 12th at 11:59pm EST. Entries must be tagged #MakerBotMars to be considered.
DURATION: May 30 and June 12, 2014 at 11:59 PM ET.
JUDGING: A subjective panel of NASA-JPL and MakerBot employees will select the winners based on scientific feasibility, creativity, and printability on a MakerBot® Replicator® 2 or a MakerBot® Replicator®.
OFFICIAL RULES as defined by Thingiverse, LLC and its affiliate MakerBot Industries, LLC (collectively, “Sponsor”).
CONTEST ENTRY DATES: Contest start date & time and end date & time as outlined on website is Friday, 05/30/2014 at 12:00AM EST to Thursday, 06/12/2014 at 11:59PM EST. All entries must be received no later than 06/12/2014 at 11:59PM EST
CONTEST OBJECTIVE: The objective of the contest is to invite Thingiverse Account Holders to create and upload a creative a human Mars base (“MakerBot Mars Design”). All Entries must include a description of how and why the submitted MakerBot Mars Design is suitable for the living conditions of a Martian. For the purposes of this Contest, “Martian” is defined as a native inhabitant of the planet Mars.
CONTEST ENTRY: To enter, click “Enter Challenge” on the contest’s click-through landing page and upload the MakerBot Mars Design with the hashtag: #MakerBotMars. For purposes of these Official Rules, “receipt” of entry occurs when Thingiverse’s server records the entry information resulting from Contestants’ entry being received. Any automated computer receipt (such as one confirming delivery of entry) does not constitute proof of actual receipt by Sponsor for purposes of these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion.
JUDGING: The Sponsor will select a first, second, and third place winner (“Winner”) based on the following criteria: scientific feasibility, creativity and printability of MakerBot Mars Design from a MakerBot Replicator™ Desktop 3D Printer (Replicator), MakerBot Replicator™ 2 Printer (“Replicator 2”), Mini, or a MakerBot® Z18® 3D Printer (“Z18”). The odds of winning depend upon the number of entries received. In the event of any ties, winners will be determined based in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. In all cases, Sponsor’s decision is final and binding.
WINNER NOTIFICATION: A Winner will be determined after the contest’s end date and announced on the Sponsor’s Blog on Wednesday, June 25, 2014!
PRIZE(S): The first place winner will receive: (a) a MakerBot Replicator™ 2 Printer Desktop 3D Printer valued at $2,199.00 + tax USD, (b) three (3) spools of MakerBot PLA filament, and (c) have his or her MakerBot Mars Design featured on Thingiverse.com. The second place winner will receive: (a) two spools of the latest MakerBot PLA Filament and (b) have his or her MakerBot Mars Design featured on Thingiverse.com. The third place winner will receive: (a) one (1) spool of MakerBot PLA Filament and (b) have his or her MakerBot Mars Design featured onThingiverse.com.
Winners are solely responsible for all expenses, costs or fees associated with acceptance and/or use of the prize, including without limitation, all taxes (if any). A winner is not a recipient of a prize until Sponsor has verified him or her as a winner. Sponsor will be deemed to have awarded the prize to a winner after it has been formally transferred and such winner will then assume full responsibility for the prize(s). When shipping overseas, winners are responsible for any fees associated with taxes or customs. All prize selections are at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Winners are solely responsible for all expenses, costs or fees associated with acceptance and/or use of the prize, including without limitation, all taxes (if any). A winner is not a recipient of a prize until Sponsor has verified him or her as a winner. Sponsor will be deemed to have awarded the prize to a winner after it has been formally transferred and such winner will then assume full responsibility for the prize(s). When shipping overseas, winners are responsible for any fees associated with taxes or customs. All prize selections are at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: By entering in this contest:
- Contestants agree and accept these Official Rules.
- Entry must be the creative work of the Contestant and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person and must not violate any law. Contestant assumes all responsibilities and consequences if submission is found to be otherwise. Sponsor will not be held responsible if legal action results from public exhibition.
- Contestant acknowledges that MakerBot will use 3D-printed prints of the winning Mars Designs and images of the winning 3D-printed prints of the winning Mars Designs for promotional and commercial purposes, including, but not limited to, events, marketing material, retail store displays, and use by distributors and resellers of products of Sponsor.
- Contestant waives any right to inspect or approve finished photographs, audio, video, multimedia, or advertising recordings and copy or printed matter or computer generated scanned image and other electronic media that may be used in conjunction therewith or to approve the eventual use that it might be applied.
- Winning constitutes permission (except where prohibited by law) to use winners names, images, hometowns, likenesses, prizes won, stories, audio, video and photograph (all at Sponsor's discretion) for future advertising, exhibition, publicity in any and all media including, without limitation, cable and broadcast television and the Internet, now or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification or permission.
- After the winning notifications, written consent of acceptance of these Official Rules for any winner under the age of 18 must be given via electronic mail to [email protected] or via regular mail to Sponsor's address listed in these official rules ("Sponsor") within fifteen (15) business days, after which consent will be confirmed by Sponsor. The written consent must contain: (a) name, (b) regular mailing address, (c) telephone number, and (d) email address for the parent or guardian granting consent for the minor. Except where prohibited by law, parent or guardian of a winner may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity Release and provide any additional information that may be required by Sponsor. If required, parent or guardian of a winner must return all such required documents via fax (or as otherwise instructed) within forty-eight (48) hours and via U.S. Mail within seven (7) days following attempted notification or such winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another Contestant may be selected based on the judging criteria described herein.
SUBMISSION PROBLEMS: Sponsor is not responsible for lost, misdirected, damaged, altered, garbled, incorrect, incomplete or delayed entries; all of which will be void. Sponsor are also not responsible for problems related to technical malfunctions of electronic equipment, computer online systems, computer hardware or software failures, failure of any entry to be received by Sponsor on account of any technical problems, including miscommunication or connection failure, which may limit a Contestant’s ability to participate in this contest. Sponsor reserves the right to modify or terminate the contest in the event it becomes technically impaired, and to cancel or suspend the contest in its entirety should unauthorized intervention corrupt the administration of the contest and, if terminated, at Sponsor’s discretion, determine the winner using all non-suspect, eligible entries received up to time of cancellation using the judging procedure outlined above. In the event of a dispute regarding entries received from multiple users having the same email account, the authorized subscriber of the email account at the time of entry will be deemed to be the Contestant and must comply with these Official Rules. Authorized subscriber is the natural person who is assigned the email address by the online service provider. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the operation of this contest.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering and/or accepting prize, Contestants and winners agree to hold and assign Sponsor and its promotional partners, directors, officers, and employees harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property, relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy.
Under no circumstances will Contestant be permitted to obtain awards for, and Contestant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, and Contestant (or, if an eligible minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
CHOICE OF LAW: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Contestants and Sponsor in connection with this contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the State of New York, USA without regard to New York choice of law rules.
SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Official Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
WINNERS LIST: Winners will be announced at www.makerbot.com/blog on Wednesday, June 25, 2014.
CONTEST SPONSOR: MakerBot Industries, LLC, 1 MetroTech Center, 21st Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201