Deadline: Jan 23, 2018 04:59 AM EST
Total Entries: 266
BlocksCAD® Snowflake Challenge
We challenge you to create a design for a snowflake using BlocksCAD®, a free online software designed to teach coding and Computer Aided Design.
Let it snow!
- One (1) MakerBot® Replicator®+ Desktop 3D Printer, and
- One (1) BlocksCAD for Education subscription plan (2017-2018 and 2018-2019 school years) for all students in a K-12 school chosen by the first prize winner.
- One (1) ten (10) pack of MakerBot® PLA filament, and
- One (1) BlocksCAD Educator Plus subscription plan (2017-2018 and 2018-2019 school years) for a K-12 school chosen by the second prize winner.
- One (1) five (5) pack of MakerBot® PLA filament, and
- One (1) BlocksCAD Educator Plus subscription plan (2017-2018 and 2018-2019 school years) for a K-12 school chosen by the third prize winner.
How to Enter
Designers are challenged to create a 3D design for a snowflake using BlocksCAD and following the BlocksCAD Snowflake lesson available here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2683342.
To enter, you must upload your design to your Thingiverse account using the hashtag: #BlocksCADSnowflake and include both the BlocksCAD Blocks .xml file and the. STL file.
To do this lesson in BlocksCAD, students will have to learn how to
Translate (move) shapes around a three-dimensional coordinate system
Use a loop to repeatedly rotate our shape to create a snowflake
Below, we’ll go through these steps in the process of creating a very simple snowflake. The end result will look like this. (click Render to see simple snowflake)
We recommend that educators first go through these simple steps to get familiar with the lesson, and then go through the same steps with students to teach them how to use BlocksCAD. After you’ve done these steps together, students can then customize their snowflakes to make amazing & intricate designs!
The instructions that follow can also be found as a PDF and Word document in the "Things Files" section.
We have a playlist of videos at our YouTube Channel that show how to do all the skills necessary to do this project (Shapes, Translation, Rotation, Loops).
GENERAL: The BlocksCAD® Snowflake Challenge contest (the “Contest”) asks designers to design an original snowflake using the lesson available at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2683342. Before entering the Contest, each Contestant (as defined below) must review and be bound by these official Contest rules (“Official Rules”) as set out below. By entering the Contest, Contestants accept and agree to be bound by these Official Rules.
CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest will begin on Wednesday, 12/21/2017 at 12:30 PM EST and end on Monday, 01/22/2018 at 11:59 PM EST (the “Contest Period”). All entries must be received no later than Monday, 01/22/2018 at 11:59 PM EST.
SPONSOR: The Contest is sponsored by MakerBot Industries, LLC (the “Sponsor”), with offices located at One MetroTech Center, 21st Floor, Brooklyn, New York 11201, and is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with any social media website or platform, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. All communications with respect to the Contest should be directed to the Sponsor at the foregoing address or to [email protected].
WHO MAY NOT ENTER CONTEST: The following categories of persons are NOT eligible to enter the Contest or win a prize: (a) Employees and their immediate families (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) or those living in the same household (whether or not related) of Sponsor, and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, prize suppliers, distributors and advertising and promotion agencies (collectively, “Contest Parties”); and (b) residents of North Korea, Syria, Sudan, Cuba, Iran, Brazil, Argentina, Romania, Turkey, Poland, Italy, and the Province of Quebec, Canada.
CONTEST ENTRY (HOW TO ENTER): You must upload your design to your Thingiverse account using the hashtag: #BlocksCADSnowflake and include both the BlocksCAD Blocks .xml file and the. STL file. Any automated computer receipt (such as one confirming delivery of entry) does not constitute proof of actual receipt by Sponsor for purposes of these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion. Duplicate entries will not be considered. No purchase necessary to enter Contest. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning. Normal Internet access and usage charges imposed by your web service will apply.
SELECTION OF WINNERS: A panel of employees of Sponsor will select the winning entries based on creativity, quality, and printability of the designs submitted. In all cases, Sponsor’s decision is final and binding. The winners will be selected at the end of the Contest Period. Winners will be announced at Thingiverse Challenges on or before Saturday, 01/27/2018.
PRIZE(S): One (1) first prize winner will receive one (1) MakerBot® Replicator®+ Desktop 3D Printer and one (1) BlocksCAD for Education subscription plan (2017-2018 and 2018-2019 school years) for all students in a K-12 school chosen by the first prize winner. One (1) second prize winner will receive one (1) ten (10) pack of MakerBot® PLA filament and one (1) BlocksCAD Educator Plus subscription plan (2017-2018 and 2018-2019 school years) for a K-12 school chosen by the second prize winner. One (1) third prize winner will receive one (1) five (5) pack of MakerBot® PLA filament and one (1) BlocksCAD Educator Plus subscription plan (2017-2018 and 2018-2019 school years) for a K-12 school chosen by the third prize winner.
Winners are solely responsible for all expenses, costs or fees associated with acceptance and/or use of the prize, including without limitation, all taxes (if any). A winner is not a recipient of a prize until Sponsor has verified him or her as a winner. Sponsor will be deemed to have awarded the prize to a winner after it has been formally transferred and such winner will then assume full responsibility for the prize(s). When shipping overseas, winners are responsible for any and all fees associated with value added tax (VAT), taxes or customs. All prize selections are at Sponsor’s sole discretion and Sponsor reserves, in its sole discretion, the right to award no prizes if no participants complete the Contest according to these Official Rules.
In order to comply with any delivery or other requirements to fulfill the provision of prizes won, Sponsor may share your name and address with third parties.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: By entering in this Contest:
- You agree and accept these Official Rules.
- You represent and warrant that your entries are your own creative work, that you own all rights in your entries, that your entries do not violate any applicable laws, and that your entries do not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity, or other intellectual property or other rights of any person. You assume all responsibilities and consequences if submission is found to be otherwise. Sponsor will not be held responsible if legal action results from public exhibition.
- You represent and warrant that all the information you provide about yourself while registering or in subsequent communications with Sponsor are truthful and accurate.
- You acknowledge that Sponsor may use 3D-printed prints of the winning design for promotional and commercial purposes, including, but not limited to, events, marketing material, retail store displays, and use by distributors and resellers of products of Sponsor.
- You waive any right to inspect or approve finished photographs, audio, video, multimedia, or advertising recordings and copy or printed matter or computer generated scanned image and other electronic media that may be used in conjunction therewith or to approve the eventual use that it might be applied.
- You acknowledge that winning constitutes permission (except where prohibited by law) to use your name, username, images, hometown, likeness, prizes won, stories, audio, video and photograph (all at Sponsor’s discretion) for future advertising, exhibition, publicity in any and all media including, without limitation, cable and broadcast television and the Internet, now or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification or permission.
- Except where prohibited by law, parent or guardian of a winner under the age of 18 will be required to sign and return a Consent Form and Release and provide any additional information that may be required by Sponsor. Parent or guardian must return all such required documents via email and via U.S. Mail within seven (7) days following attempted notification or such winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another Contestant may be selected based on the judging criteria described herein.
WARRANTIES & SUBMISSION PROBLEMS: Except as required by law, Sponsor makes no warranties, express or implied, for prizes. The Contest, including any prizes, is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. Sponsor disclaims all representations and warranties, express or implied, including any warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, misdirected, damaged, altered, garbled, incorrect, incomplete or delayed Entries; all of which will be void. Additionally, Sponsor is not responsible for functionality issues with third-party websites that may interfere with winner selection or notification. In the event viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention, Acts of God, acts or regulations of any governmental or supra-national authority, war, national emergency, accident, fire, riot, strikes, lock-outs, industrial disputes, acts of terrorism, acts or regulations by any other site, or other matters beyond the Sponsor’s reasonable control, corrupt, prevent, or impair the administration, security, fairness, or proper play of this Contest, so that they cannot be conducted as originally planned, Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to modify the Official Rules or to cancel, modify, terminate, or suspend this Contest; and in such event, to select winner and runners-up winners by such method as Sponsor in its sole discretion shall consider equitable. In event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the person in whose name the Sponsor Account, or respective third-party website account as applicable, is registered. Sponsor reserves the right to modify this Contest as necessary.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering and/or accepting prize, Contestants and winners agree to hold and assign Sponsor and its promotional partners, directors, officers, and employees harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property, relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy.
Under no circumstances will Contestants be permitted to obtain awards for, and Contestants hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys’ fees, and Contestant (or, if an eligible minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
CHOICE OF LAW: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Contestants and Sponsor in connection with this Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the State of New York, USA without regard to New York choice of law rules.
SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Official Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.