Deadline: Dec 2, 2013 11:59 PM EST
Total Entries: 301
It’s time for tree trimming, and we’re holding a Thingiverse challenge to celebrate. We've teamed up with the Peabody Award-winning public radio show Studio 360, hosted by cultural critic and author Kurt Andersen and produced by WNYC and PRI, to co-sponsor a Thingiverse Ornament Challenge.
Design an ornament, upload it to Thingiverse, and tag it #MakerBotOrnaments.
Grand PrizeOne grand prize winner will be brought to New York City to join MakerBot CEO Bre Pettis as a guest at "Science Fair: Studio 360 in 3D,” a special event hosted by Kurt Andersen at The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space at WNYC in SoHo. Please read the Official Rules below for further detail on this prize.
Grand Prize + 9 Runners UpIn addition to the grand prize winner’s trip to NYC, a total of TEN winners will each receive one spool of a MakerBot PLA filament and a Thingiverse t-shirt and have their designs featured on Thingiverse and in each of our MakerBot stores. We now have stores in New York City, NY, Greenwich, CT, and Boston, MA.
How to Enter
HOW: Design an ornament, upload it to Thingiverse, and tag it #MakerBotOrnaments between November 22nd and December 2nd for a chance to be a winner. Sets must be tagged #MakerBotOrnaments to be considered.
DURATION: November 22nd-December 2nd, 2013 at 11:59 PM ET.
JUDGING: A subjective panel will select one Grand Prize Winner and nine runners up based on the following criteria: printability of Holiday Ornament Design from a MakerBot® Replicator® 2 and ability of the design to hang on a pine tree branch.
OFFICIAL RULES as defined by Thingiverse, LLC and its affiliate MakerBot Industries, LLC (collectively, "Sponsor").
CONTEST ENTRY DATES: Contest start date & time and end date & time as outlined on website is Friday, 11/22/2013 at 12:00PM EST to Monday, 12/02/2013 at 11:59PM EST. All entries must be received no later than 12/02/2013 at 11:59PM EST.
CONTEST OBJECTIVE: The objective of the contest is to invite Thingiverse Account Holders to create and upload holiday ornaments that can hang on a pine tree branch (“Holiday Ornament Design”).
CONTEST ENTRY: To enter, click “Enter Challenge” on the contest’s click-through landing page and upload the Holiday Ornament Design with the hash tag: #MakerBotOrnaments. For purposes of these Official Rules, “receipt” of entry occurs when Thingiverse’s server records the entry information resulting from Contestants’ entry being received. Any automated computer receipt (such as one confirming delivery of entry) does not constitute proof of actual receipt by Sponsor for purposes of these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion.
JUDGING: The Sponsor will select one (1) Grand Prize Winner and nine (9) Runner-Up Winners based on the following criteria: (1) printability of Holiday Ornament Design from a MakerBot Replicator™ 2 Printer (“Replicator 2”) and (2) ability of the Holiday Ornament Design to hang on a pine tree branch. The odds of winning depend upon the number of entries received. In the event of any ties, winners will be determined based in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. In all cases, Sponsor’s decision is final and binding.
WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winners will be determined after the contest’s end date and announced on the Sponsor’s Blog on Monday, December 9, 2013!
1. The Grand Prize Winner will receive:
(a) A travel voucher, supplied by New York Public Radio, of up to one-thousand USD ($1000) for lodging and airfare from within the continental United States winner to attend the Studio 360 live event in New York City on December 17, 2013. If Grand Prize Winner is not able to travel within or to New York City on December 17, 2013 to attend the Studio 360 live event or if the Grand Prize Winner is located outside of the continental United States, they will only be able to participate in the event via Skype using the services on www.skype.com.
(b) A print of Grand Prize Winner’s Holiday Ornament Design print displayed in all MakerBot, retail locations.
(c) One (1) spool of filament.
(d) One (1) Thingiverse t-shirt paraphernalia, and
(e) the Grand Prize Winner’s Holiday Ornament Design featured on Thingiverse.com between 12/09/2013 and 12/20/2013.
2. The Runner-Ups will receive:
(a) Their Ornament Design print displayed in all MakerBot retail locations.
(b) One (1) spool of filament.
(c) One (1) Thingiverse t-shirt paraphernalia, and
(d) the Runner-Up’s Holiday Ornament Design featured on Thingiverse.com between 12/09/2013 and 12/20/2013 (one Runner-Up per weekday).
Winners are solely responsible for all expenses, costs or fees associated with acceptance and/or use of the prize, including without limitation, all taxes (if any). A winner is not a recipient of a prize until Sponsor has verified him or her as a winner. Sponsor will be deemed to have awarded the prize to a winner after it has been formally transferred and such winner will then assume full responsibility for the prize(s). When shipping overseas, winners are responsible for any fees associated with taxes or customs. All prize selections are at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: By entering in this contest:
- Contestants agree and accept these Official Rules.
- Entry must be the creative work of the Contestant and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person and must not violate any law. Contestant assumes all responsibilities and consequences if submission is found to be otherwise. Sponsor will not be held responsible if legal action results from public exhibition.
- Contestant waives any right to inspect or approve finished photographs, audio, video, multimedia, or advertising recordings and copy or printed matter or computer generated scanned image and other electronic media that may be used in conjunction therewith or to approve the eventual use that it might be applied.
- Winning constitutes permission (except where prohibited by law) to use winners names, images, hometowns, likenesses, prizes won, stories, audio, video and photograph (all at Sponsor's discretion) for future advertising, exhibition, publicity in any and all media including, without limitation, cable and broadcast television and the Internet, now or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification or permission.
- After the winning notifications, written consent of acceptance of these Official Rules for any winner under the age of 18 must be given via electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or via regular mail to Sponsor's address listed in these official rules ("Sponsor") within fifteen (15) business days, after which consent will be confirmed by Sponsor. The written consent must contain: (a) name, (b) regular mailing address, (c) telephone number, and (d) email address for the parent or guardian granting consent for the minor. Except where prohibited by law, parent or guardian of a winner may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity Release and provide any additional information that may be required by Sponsor. If required, parent or guardian of a winner must return all such required documents via fax (or as otherwise instructed) within forty-eight (48) hours and via U.S. Mail within seven (7) days following attempted notification or such winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another Contestant may be selected based on the judging criteria described herein.
SUBMISSION PROBLEMS: Sponsor is not responsible for lost, misdirected, damaged, altered, garbled, incorrect, incomplete or delayed entries; all of which will be void. Sponsor are also not responsible for problems related to technical malfunctions of electronic equipment, computer online systems, computer hardware or software failures, failure of any entry to be received by Sponsor on account of any technical problems, including miscommunication or connection failure, which may limit a Contestant's ability to participate in this contest. Sponsor reserves the right to modify or terminate the contest in the event it becomes technically impaired, and to cancel or suspend the contest in its entirety should unauthorized intervention corrupt the administration of the contest and, if terminated, at Sponsor's discretion, determine the winner using all non-suspect, eligible entries received up to time of cancellation using the judging procedure outlined above. In the event of a dispute regarding entries received from multiple users having the same email account, the authorized subscriber of the email account at the time of entry will be deemed to be the Contestant and must comply with these Official Rules. Authorized subscriber is the natural person who is assigned the email address by the online service provider. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the operation of this contest.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering and/or accepting prize, Contestants and winners agree to hold and assign Sponsor and its promotional partners, directors, officers, and employees harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property, relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy.
Under no circumstances will Contestant be permitted to obtain awards for, and Contestant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, and Contestant (or, if an eligible minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
CHOICE OF LAW: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Contestants and Sponsor in connection with this contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the State of New York, USA without regard to New York choice of law rules.
SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Official Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
WINNERS LIST: Winners will be announced at www.makerbot.com/blog on Monday, December 9, 2013.
CONTEST SPONSOR: MakerBot Industries, LLC, 1 MetroTech Center, 21st Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201