Report as inappropriate

I didn't forget about posting the designs. They're coming soon but figured I owed an explanation for the holdup. The print I borrowed from you needed so little work done to it (just had to add the shaped bar that attaches it to the main part- everything else was good to go, the most common bits fit just right into the center hex, 3/16" ball bearings work great, etc.) that it was quickly in it's final form since any ease-of-use feature I could think to add- like mounting it to the attachment bar on an axis so you could spin it 180 degrees to change directions instead of removing the attachment and putting it in the other way- added obvious points of failure.

I've planned a testing system with three feedback stages- rough prototype, refined prototype (based on first feedback), and final version pre-release. I started the rough "beta test" two days after I last posted here, a week early, because I had some extra help become available. The feedback that we got was way more comprehensive and helpful than expected. I was looking for a basic list of things that people liked or didn't, with priority on factors which might make someone who benefits choose not to use it or a factor they'd have to mention to a friend if asked for a review. I got a lot more than I hoped, with a far higher rate of useful suggestions. The only impediments to people giving feedback were both predicted- some people just can't bring themselves to criticize or say anything remotely negative about somebody's work. Secondly, some people will just not believe that the item is free of charge, commitment, or other abstract type of debt and won't accept it regardless of assurances. The most important feedback hit me from out of nowhere, which concerned the fact that items like this- which work around some loss of ability- can have a profound positive impact on a person's (especially with the elderly) sense of self-reliance and personal independence which leads to overall improvement of their quality of life due to decreased reliance on caregivers and others to do things they used to do themselves. That was huge and will now be a primary consideration for future design projects.

I'm putting in the last few design changes, then I'll post everything. Yours gear design was the first attachment which directly addressed a movement type and had a purpose separate from simply not dropping or getting a better grip on different things. In testing, the base item that wraps around the hand moved more than it should and tended to twist into the back of the hand in uncomfortable ways, so I have to add a bit of structure to offset that issue. I'm putting in as many hours as I can on design, so not much longer. I've got a busy week with new types of professional clients to meet with plus a GoFundMe campaign to put together. We're hoping a small crowdfunding round will free us to fully develop a process whereby someone can identify a need that 3D printing can address in their community. We'll develop and test methods for every step geared toward providing the maximum benefit to the most amount of people as cost effectively as possible. After that, beyond distributing the program and establishing a forum where people can improve and refine our work, but we want to set up training and get some groups going out there.