Loading

Report as inappropriate

My 6th grade math students are wrapping up (ran out of time this year but will be giving 3+ weeks to this project next year...) creating a tangram project. I gave them a picture of a tangram puzzle. Gave them a 40x40 grid to fill with the puzzle on their own/in a pair (thought this was cute since it used the LCM of the bases and heights of an 8x8 puzzle to calculate). Then asked them to find the coordinates of the end points of the bases and height and calculate distances and areas from these.

Then came the fun part: they needed to fabricate the shapes in 123d design app (some inventiveness was needed with the parallelogram and square). Using the 5x5x5 cubes they needed to scale the cube to 2.5 mm height and then figure out what the base and height of the rectangle should be in order to chamfer edges to create triangles. Lots of good solid math in here: converting bases and heights from 40x40 to 8x8, scale factors of the 5x5 to (example) 4x8.

Once they did this and created the pieces. They had to calculate for me the volume of material needed to print this (they needed to come up with triangle prism volume since we stopped at rectangular, but great assessment to see if they get the relationship between rectangles and triangles...). Then I threw a wrench in their plans and told them that I was setting the printer to 15% volume. Foregoing that this is not including the faces, I asked them to recalculate total material.

Then we printed! Some are now working on sanding and then measuring and designing a container: we have the DaVinci 1.0 and seems not to print extremely accurately at this size, but another fun opportunity to problem solve!