Report as inappropriate

Great project !
I've been building robots since I was a kid in the 70s.
I'm new to the 3D printer scene. But I've used 3D Cad before.
Whats the extra thin plastic material that surrounds the parts in each of the pictures ?
Is this something which the 3D Printer software automatically inserts for you ?