Help! My Prints are Delaminating

AM8 delamination PLA

Please Login to Comment

I'm just about ready to throw in the towel on 3D printing - if it's not one thing, it's another :0(

I have an AM8 with a SKR1.3, TMC2209 drivers and 3D Touch sensor running with the latest Marlin 2.0.x.

I've been through all sorts of issues, and after much tweaking and tuning, I thought I'd cracked it when the 20mm test cube printed perfectly earlier today.

However, after printing the top of the display/keypad case this afternoon the d@mn thing delaminated as soon as I took it off the bed.

I'm printing PLA at 205 degrees C on a bed that's 60 degrees C with a 0.2mm later height on a 0.4mm nozzle at a 60mm/s print speed. Infill was 20% on this job, but I'm not sure that matters as the edges have also delaminated - these were 0.8mm.

Granted, the PLA is a couple of years old but i've just tried printing again with new PLA I got from Prusa and it's the same problem.

I think I have enough 'squish' when I start the job - perhaps too much, but squish between layers should give better adhesion right?

Can anyone point me in the right direction to crack this problem so I can enjoy prints that don't fall apart?

Thanks in advance!

Martin
m0hkg

It would definitely help if your pictures aren't from a 90's webcam :-)

I used to have problems with layer adhesion until I took a closer look at the component fan. This part can also be used to exert a great deal of influence on the print quality. Usually only drive at 50%, but it doesn't mean anything, as the fans are only given in% and nobody knows how big the airflow is. Just experiment with it, less flow means the filament starts more slowly, bad for bridging, good for penetrating the previous layer (better adhesion), sometimes also better surface. I print my PLA at 210/205 degrees on an Anet E12, but at 205/195 degrees on a Tronxy X5SA. Therefore, I feel that this temperature information is only relative. So if you consider your temperature as a side issue, just try 10 degrees more and check the results. So settle down to the right temperature for your device, as already mentioned it is a little different for everyone and it always depends on what you want to print, with which PLA filament, which color (different plasticizers) etc.

Hi m0hkg, I'm not a "professional" printer, but I have been through some issues. First, I run my PLA at 220C (Hot I know) but I've had better luck with it at that temp. Bed temp I run around 65 for the first layer/layers and then to 60 ish. I'd try running your infill at 100% just to see if it helps, and then back off to where you're comfortable running. Are you familiar at all with your slicer settings? I use Cura. Not sure if it's good or bad, but it works. I'd try a little hotter on the nozzle temp. A lot of printers will run 5 or so degrees COOLER than the display reads. Might help to bump yours up to 220 and run a print. Sorry if I'm not much help. Jim

Like morganlowe said, more heat, less cooling.

I run PLA/PLA+ at 215-220°, bed at 55°, cooling fan at 25% (or less) after the 1st layer.

OK so time to tweak your slicer. What do you use? I like Prusa slicer.

Anyways, add a few walls, and add some heat. Are you running the part fan all the time?

Usually that's either wet filament, under extrusion, too thin wall or too cool.

I run my PLA at 215-225. I also run at 100-150mm/sec So hot and fast.

You can get some live help from me and others over at the Morninglion Industries Discord A lot of us are A8 users, or former ones.

[Love how it injects an add with the word prusa]

Thanks for all the input, it is much appreciated.

I've upped the temperature of the extruder to 220 and increased the print speed to 90mm/sec and things are looking very cr@ppy now.

The slicer I'm using is Cura and I thought that what I'm seeing is under extrusion so I've increased the flow to 120% but it looks pants.

I've checked the bed with a run out gauge and before running a Marlin bed level I'm within 0.1mm of being level, so with bed levelling and a 0.2mm layer height I'd have thought things would be good.

The photos of the first layer of the 12864 case tell a very different story...

Totally dejected... :-(

To me it seems you have some issue with the extruder mechanism, where it seems to be working erratically. Maybe a loose electrical connector or incorrect assembly of the extruder, I am just guessing here.

Or at least you have set an incorrect nozzle size in the slicer (or the nozzle is not the size you think it is).

A higher temperature on the first shift does not mean more speed. The first layer should always be printed more slowly so that you achieve better adhesion. More flow in the first layer is not wrong, but it also means that a lateral overhang (ridge) is created, which must be removed afterwards. I usually print the first layer at a higher temperature (210 degrees) and 50mm / s or less. These values are always relative and depend on the device and structure.