Filament Sensor Issues

Please Login to Comment

Hello all,
I have been printing on my Chiron for about 6 months now, and am starting to get some fun issues. I am continually getting a Filament Sensor trip which stops my prints and hops itself up to allow new filament to be added. The trick is, there is a half roll and there is no call for the sensor to have tripped!
Have any of you had this issue? How did you fix it? I have done the standard, unplug everything and plug it back in, to no avail.
I have a time-sensitive print that I am trying to get done by the weekend (or I will have to Paper Mache the item) and am racking my brain to get this issue resolved.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

sorry it took so long to answer, but yes I hade the same problem and ended up unplugging the sensor and in the proses of ordering a new one from amazon, they are cheap so I will order a few. works fine with the sensor disconnected .

Yeah, I picked up a new sensor from a local shop as a quick and it cost me like $5. Since then I have taken it apart, and am in the process of testing the old sensor to see if I can find and fix the issue and have a spare sensor, or if I will be stuck with having to buy a new one every 6 months or so ;)

Have the same problem from time to time, removing the string from the nozzle to the print and press continue works - but with a small flaw in the print. If I unrolls some fillament on the roll it seems like I can keep the problem away. Have also tried a couple of the alternative roll holders, and the ones with a bearing seems to do the trick. Also the tuning of the Titan helps a lot and some rolls of fillament never fails! So I have concluded that the problem is due to the friction on the standard roll holder.

Thank you for this, I will look into designing a rounded modification for the Filament Roll Holder and see if that works. For now, I have disconnected the Filament Sensor totally, and have gotten the print done with time to prepare it.

I got this everyday. But as i print from Octoprint it never stop printing, just make those Beeps.
Sorry about my english.

Not running Octoprint myself, This is not an option for me. That being said, I will look into what it will take for me to do this

Did you try disconnect the sensor from motherboard to see if still get the alert?

Yes, I did that to get my prints done. not a long term solution though. I am going to look into designing an attachment for my filament roll arm though.

If you removed the sensor from the board and stopped warning then it is unlikely to be software. It can be the sensor, try to change it, these are easy to find parts.
Good Luck :)

Any idea where to find it? When I do a search for Chiron Filament Sensor Replacement Parts I basically get the entire unit. The AnyCubic website does not have this as a part in their parts page either. failing that, I will see if they will replace this item, as the machine is only 6 months old.

Well, here in Brazil, I can buy on Ebay like sites. Delivery in 2 days. From China you get it on Aliexepress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190825185234&SearchText=filament+sensor&switch_new_app=y
If the motherboard connector is different simply replace it with the original connector.

Bought a Generic sensor from my local shop for like $5. picking it up this afternoon :)

https://www.digitmakers.ca/products/filament-detection-module if you dont want to wait 6-8weeks from China. You could take this sensor out and put into you Chiron housing for the filament sensor.

Thank you kevincostner. I will look it up on eBay, I am not in China but Canada so these options should work for me.

However, before i go to that extent, I am going to try a modification to my Filament Spool arm first.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3278343

Anycubic Chiron Round Spool Slip Adapter

Success, good luck. About the modification, I don't know if that is the intention, but it should not influence your problem with the sensor.

Check the connections and if there is stuff stuck in your filament sensor.
Its a more or less common problem.

If you dont have time to check properly just check if the switch is open or closed with filament inside.
Then take the cables of and short or isolate them depending on what you saw before.
(Maybe this is not needed if you start a print with the sensor disconnected from the start)

Now feed the chiron bypassing the sensor and make sure you have enough filament manually.
Of course it wont stop now if filament is gone, its just a fast fix for your important prints.

I have done your work-around as a quick fix and finished my print in time.
I will try to figure out something to see if it is the spool that is hanging, or what is up with this.
Once I have a concrete answer as to if it is the sensor or the filament roll holder, I will post my updates.

Comments deleted.

Check the connections and if there is stuff stuck in your filament sensor.
Its a more or less common problem.

If you dont have time to check properly just check if the switch is open or closed with filament inside.
Then take the cables of and short or isolate them depending on what you saw before.
(Maybe this is not needed if you start a print with the sensor disconnected from the start)

Now feed the chiron bypassing the sensor and make sure you have enough filament manually.
Of course it wont stop now if filament is gone, its just a fast fix for your important prints.