Retraction noise

e3d-titan extruder help motor noise retraction

Please Login to Comment

Hello, I'm getting this noise on retractions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmdWcJdKziI

I don't know if it's the extruder gears or the motor doing that, and it's bugging me. Lowering retraction speed to 36mm/s and below fixes it, but I would like to know what's going on anyway. I upgraded my drivers to TMC2208s and all other axes are fine. Vref I believe is 1.31V on the extruder driver, 0.8 all the others.

Also, that's a genuine titan extruder.

Should mention I'm not a stepper driver or motor expert, at all.

EDIT: The extruder had never been installed correctly since it was clicking due to barely noticeable backlash, this is NOT a noise I'm only noticing after replacing the drivers. Retracting 5mm/s slower makes it pretty much dead silent, but otherwise this noise also makes the whole printer vibrate. This doesn't feel or seem right. I have already lowered vref to 0.9V

EDIT 2: This happens without any filament as well.

EDIT 3: Running the motor without extruder attached does not make any noise, therefore the problem is definitely in the extruder. Don't know if it's a limitation of geared extruders or the titan extruder in general, or if I just assembled something wrong, or even worse if some bearings are damaged.

Retractions seem extremely large - E3D will tell you to keep them up to max. 3mm. I see too a strange violent vibration in the bowden tube associated with the sound - the spool filament deployment might not be really smooth - my tube practically does not move near the extruder. Retraction speed 35-40mm are also maximum values.
I would: - dismount and clean the extruder - I am sure it is filled with grinded filament; use a verified, untangled spool of filament; remove the filament sensor temporary before the extruder (it is useless, keep 10cm of filament inside...); Use retractions 3mm and max. 40mm/s retraction speed.

Hello, I forgot to mention it still vibrates when retracting/feeding without any filament inserted. Only thing that was left to test for me to rule the motor out would be to take the extruder off and try to spin it at the same rate, to see what happens.

I have already taken it apart and I saw no bits of ground filament anywhere.

Then it is either something not properly assembled, either the combination retractions (?) + retraction speed is way too large - exceeds the system limits.

Can confirm the motor is not making the noise if ran without extruder. At this point I must assume that either I got something wrong or it must be a limitation of the extruder.

Comment has been deleted

The extruder had never been installed correctly since it was clicking due to barely noticeable backlash. I fixed the clicking but now it's this. Retracting 5mm/s slower makes it pretty much dead silent, but this noise makes the whole thing shake as well. This doesn't feel or seem right.

I have already lowered vref

Can you tell what you have done to get rid of the clicking noise?

Comment has been deleted

Suppose I'll wait for an answer by e3d, they know their product

Comment has been deleted

This ain't clicking tho

Comment has been deleted