TMC 2208 there is a lot of confusion on this topic...

Please Login to Comment

Hi guys, i've decided to change the stock steppere motor with the TMC 2208, but everywhere I'm looking for some information I only find a lot of confusion.
Let's start by saying I'v already purchase 4 TCM 2208 GeeekPi V2.

-The easy part is, as I've understood, to mount them tilted 180° so that the GRD on the 2208 match the GRD on the motherboard. So I only need to check GND position
-Even the Vref setting looks kind of easy to me
-The real problem is abuot invertig the connector or not....someone say you always need to do that, sameone say with V2 TMC 2208 you don't need to do that, someone say that with V2 you HAVE to do it, some one say that with V3 you don't have to do it, somone say that with V3 averything is super easy because it's plug and play because it automatically tkes care of every setting and, in the end, someone say that the V3 is the most difficult because you have to do tons of settings...

I'm really confused...can some one point me to an article or something that explain if I need to invert the cables or not? Is it an information that comes with the "TMC2208 stepper motors manual"?

Maybe my little guidance helps you: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4560737
As long as you insert the drivers in the correct orientation, you probably can't break anything... You will notice if the wiring needs adaptation, the motors will crackle and make noises.

Anycubic Mega TMC2208 V3.0 UART

Hi there,

imho go for a custom firmware , no fiddling with connectors needed.

I'm using Marlin 1.1.9 ( by davidramiro) for a long time now, great thing, TMC 2208 reversed via firmware, heatbed mesh leveling etc..). Yesterday, after trying several user build firmwares which did not run as smooth as i wanted, i compiled a Marlin 2.0 from scratch for my Chiron, which now is up and running great ( incl. Display ). Most difficult part was compiling errors due to windows 10 but now i know the trick ;)

I did switch all drivers in the i3 Mega, which i will change back soon. No need for extruder and z in my opinion, giving me 2 for the Chiron X and Y axis with no need to purchase new ones ;) Replace - set reverse for those 2 back in source to stock - compile - flash - voila no reverse connector fiddling!

Edit:

btw, to answer you question, AFAIK it all depends on the pins ( don't trust V1 V2 V3 only, for me it'd be too much trust in chinese product labeling ;) ):

A4988 : VM GND 2B 2A 1A 1B VDD GND
f.e. FYSETC TMC V2 : VM GND 1B 1A 2A 2B VDD GND

A + B reversed

Hi there, sorry to side track, i am having issues compiling on windows 10 and im getting this error :DIO31_RPORT was not declared in this scope. Any idea how to fix this?

I encountered the same conflicting information before I did mine, but what I eventually determined is that it's not too important anyhow. If you get it wrong it won't fry anything, the motors will just run backwards. Put an axis in the middle of its travel and move it. If it goes the wrong way, reverse the connector. My belief is that in standalone mode you need to reverse them unless you change firmware. That was what happened for me anyhow, but I got TMC2209.

Read the silkscreen of your board when it comes to the pins of your stepper motor. What is the sequence?
If it goes GND VDD 1B 1A 2A 2B, then you don't have to do a thing.
If it goes 2B 2A 1A 1B, you can either invert the logic in the firmware, or invert the wires. You will know this if you try it and your whole setup runs backwards
If it's any other configuration than the above, you may have to do a combination of inverting wires and/or logic in the firmware.

I am running Marlin 2.0.7.2 which I custom-changed some features in the Special Menu to fit my needs but everything else is pretty much as written on the original Marlin. (I got tired of the Marlin 2.0 knutwurst code which seem convoluted). So if you need some guidance in terms of editing the firmware, I can point you in the right direction.