Loading

After 2 days of printing, no filament coming out of nozzle

Please Login to Comment

First, let me say that I am relatively new to 3D printing. I managed to successfully print some smaller items (mostly cosplay gauntlets, armor pieces, etc), but my attempt at taking advantage of the height of the printer hasn't been great so far. I am trying to print a Bo-Katan helmet. I purchased the file on Etsy, and based on the comments, I am sure the issue is user error. On my last attempt, things were going fairly well and then when I checked on the printer, the nozzle was still moving, but was a couple inches above where the print was -- it stopped putting out filament. The temps looked okay on the display, and when I tried to manually push the filament through (holding the trigger by the extruder), it went through fine.
What did I do wrong? Was there just a clog, and it was bad timing that it happened on day 2 of the print? I am going to try to salvage the print by printing the remaining top part of the helmet, and gluing together.
Also, my support looked a little iffy, and there was some weird stuff going on at the front of the mask. I'm guessing my support infill was too low, but if anyone has ideas to point me in the right direction before I try this again, that would be much appreciated. The only thing I could think of is humidity. It was pretty humid out during the print, but I was periodically running my ac to try to keep things at a comfortable humidity. I haven't had this issue before, so not sure how to correct it.
I am attaching photos of the whole print (I had lowered the nozzle to try to find out the coordinates where it stopped printing, but it was higher when I noticed the problem), the funky support area, and the spot at the front of the helmet that didn't look right.

The longest ever print I have ever managed to succeed with is 28 hours... With WOOD PLA, that is always prone to clogs. There are a few things that can be done to prevent clogs. One is to take retraction away. However, by your description, it wasn't a clog - hand pushing worked just fine, so Id say its the extruder gears that got full of muck most likely. I have old electrical toothbrush for that next to my Chiron. During longer prints I often take it and just brush clean the bits of the extruder gear I can reach.

another similar issue can be a faulty SD card - it basically manifests as a piece of GCODE being missing when you read back the gcode file. But if that had been your issue, the printer would have been printing into air...

What did you do wrong? You used the wrong printer fur such a job :)
Seriously, the fact that the extruder managed to push and retract two days continuously filament through a Bowden tube is quite remarkable. It is a process that supposes millions of micro-crashing dents on that filament, each of them producing micro-residuals that accumulate in the extruder. Finally in such a long print, the gears of the extruder are filled with filament dust and engage less and less the filament itself up to the moment when the filament is not any more engaged but "machined" = end of the extrusion.
Whatever you do, open the extruder and clean it before to start the next print.

some long gcode files can get corrupted, same with reused sd card (sometimes Windows warns me to scan and fix mine).
Other times the printer might misbehave (some firmware bug, too many retractions heating the extruder motor, or fault when reading the file from the sd card).
The longer the print, higher are the chances of a thermal runway, some motor miss functioning o even a strong wind draft cooling the bed below the threshold (I think it is only 2ºC, and for the hotentd 10º) making the printer halt.
Unfortunately it's very hard to diagnostic it.
Your supports are fine. The helmet itself have no under extruded lines that I can see, so it just might be some smaller support lines that got badly extruded because of oozed filament after a travel move. If you think supports ar too small to be printed or might get knocked down, beef them up with extra custom supports (there is a plugin for that).
Measure the printed part with a digital caliper and round it DOWN up to 1mm so as you have more of the second piece and sand it to fit perfectly if needed.