Stepper drivers burning out

Please Login to Comment

Is anyone else having a lot of trouble with stepper drivers burning out around 1,200 hours? I have replacements in the mail, does anyone have advice to prevent it?

When I replaced mine the first thing I did, was to check and tune the voltage. I set the all to .80v and they worked great. Don't go higher than 1v or you'll burn them up.

I don't have yet so many running hours, but I noticed my steppers run pretty hot, especially when printing at "high" speed (120mm/s). To help them keep cool I did the following :

• Add some heatsink on the vertical side
  • Use corner covers with big vent holes
  • Put some feets under the kossel to have some clearance under the corner which holds the steppers so that the air can flow easilly around them

Some more thermal improvements not done yet, but which I consider doing soon :

• insulate the bottom of the hot bed
  • turn the power supply 180° and print a duct to direct air from psu cooling fan (which never get hot) under the bed to better cool the electronics and the steppers

Hope it helps !

Sounds great thank you! Added heatsinks and I'm going to try the PSU experiment. Thank you

How warm do the steppers motors get on your machine? What sort of speeds do you run? Have you tuned the drivers by measuring voltage and adjusting the variable resistor?

Mine are never more than warm to the touch, but I generally don't go over 60mm/sec either since I use Octoprint and it limits how fast the gcode is fed to the printer without getting little pauses on curves.

My steppers get incredibly hot, added a heatsink and that fixed it. I never print above 80mm/s and usually its 30 mm/s (found gives a better result for my vases)

I use TMC2130s on my Kossel and cool them with a Fan. I also use Repetier Server, because it runs a lot smoother, so with litte modifications on the printer itself I am able to print more than 150 - 200 mm/s.