Marlin 2.0.6 released with Trigorilla Pro support

Please Login to Comment

At last! If you already have configuration. h and configuration_adv.h files, they need only slight modifications before compiling under PlatformIO.

need to know more about this please :)

dectoo, the Anycubic Predator uses a 32 bit Trigorilla Pro board made by a Chinese company called Chitu. It runs under a form of proprietary g-code, so it is almost impossible to gain control of the fine tuning. low level functions that a good 3D printer needs.

Marlin is the firmware that the vast majority of printers use. Marlin is open source, so users are free, even encouraged, to modify it at will. Marlin is constantly being improved and updated, and it took many people a long time (years) to figure out enough information about the Trigorilla Pro so that Marlin can now be installed on that board.

The latest release of Marlin (2.0.6) includes "official" support for the Trigorilla Pro for the first time.

rq3,

Thanks for the explanation, I am well aware of the challenges with the Trigorilla Pro board (I have an anycubic predator). I'd like to get some info from someone that actually flashed their board to marlin 2.0.6 and get a better understanding of any challenges. Like, does it have on board bed leveling, ect..

My Anycubic Predator is currently running Marlin 2.0.5.3 (see my earlier posts in this group), and before I could flash it to 2.0.5.4, the latest 2.0.6 was released. I have compiled 2.0.6 without issues, but haven't yet loaded it onto my Predator.

Marlin on the Predator works as it does with any other printer. It shows and uses the menus enabled in your configuration files. You can have menus for all four of Marlin's bed leveling routines if you like, delta auto calibration works, temperature PID tuning works, as do all of the other "bells and whistles" available under Marlin.

Plus you have the benefit of being able to directly control the printer over USB with Repetier or Pronterface, with access to all of Marlin's well defined g-code, without having to try to translate Chitu's weird g-code and pray that it actually will do what it should.

I complained to Anycubic about not being able to print via USB and they sent me a new trigorilla board so I'm willing to flash an update and test I just haven't read up on the process to compile and flash.

Does your marlin 2.0.5.3 predator autolevel? Are there any special tweaks you have to do to get printing again?

There aren't any videos of a predator actually running marlin and printing something. If I decide to flash 2.0.6 I'll be sure to make a video, I just don't want to be fighting any issues for a long period of time.

Per my other topics here, to get Marlin 2.0.5.3 to compile I had to add the line "board_build.core = maple" to the trigorilla pro environment in the platformio.ini file.

This is NOT necessary under Marlin 2.0.6!

The nozzle to bed height needs to be set to 456.00 mm (rather than the default 437.21) in the configuration.h files of BOTH releases to get probing to work. There are other tweaks that you can do in configuration.h before compiling, but this is the only necessary change. I modified the maximum nozzle/bed temperatures (from 275/150 to 250/110, respectively) so as not to fry my hotend if it ran away. I also enable the M48 probe repeatability test, just for fun, and reduced the babystepping from 0.05mm to 0.0125mm (the maximum resolution of the Predator steppers). These are all functions that are available under Marlin that were not available (either easily or at all) under the factory Predator functionality.

Just compile under Platformio, and upload the created firmware.bin file via the USB port after moving the two jumpers on the board per the YouTube video previously posted on this group (there is as yet no bootloader available to enable loading from the SD card).

Under 2.0.5.3, the LCD display will need to be physically flipped 180 degrees. I don't know yet if this is true under 2.0.6, but it's easy to do.

Yes, the delta calibration and autolevel functions work perfectly, as do all of the other enabled Marlin functions. The only issue I am chasing is having the steppers disable at the end of the print, so that the effector "falls" from the home position after a 60 second delay (the delay is set in configuration_av.h, and can be lengthened). I could also "fix" this just by tightening the belts a bit, but suspect that adding enable steppers to my end g-code will fix this (untried as of yet).

Even the M48 probe repeatability test is available as a menu item under Marlin if you enable it. On my Anycubic Z probe, it shows a repeatablility of 0.006 mm (6 microns), which is pretty darn impressive for a simple microswitch, and rivals the best industrial (and expensive) limit switches.

Do you have advice how to auto level the predator on marlin? Is it like on original FW (level with paper put on the switch and so on)?

ThamNu, if you have successfully loaded Marlin on to your Predator, the Delta Calibration should be run first. It will walk you through the steps (connect probe, disconnect probe, etc.). Then save the results in the configuration menu on the touch screen.

Next run UBL (unified bed leveling), and save those results, too. There's no paper or manual probing required, although you will want to watch your first print to make sure the first layer is going OK, and fine tune the baby-stepping for the Z axis height.

DO NOT try to do a bed leveling verification print!!! The effector moves so fast that I actually managed to strip several teeth off of a drive belt. I've posted this as an issue on the Marlin GitHub.

Otherwise, those two items (Delta Calibration, and UBL) work very well and gracefully.

Thank you very much :-)

I downloaded and updated Marlin 2.0.6 Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h however my screen buttons are not working and the display is squished. I matched up all the settings from the *.h files mentioned above, 2.0.6, requires a new format for some reason but the screen is not the correct size. I did have to rotate the display 180 degrees. Anyone know what else needs to be adjusted in 2.0.6 to fix the screen size?

Here are my platformio.ini, configuration.h, and configuration_adv.h files used to compile Marlin. You can NOT use the released Marlin 2.0.6. You MUST use the latest Marlin Bugfix 2.0.X (as of August 14, 2020 at 6PM EST in the US)

I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for bricking, damaging, or otherwise causing harm to yourself, your printer, or your property. Use these files at your own risk!!!

Hi rq3

I've used the latest BugFix and your files but failed to complete the compilation.
Problem is #error "FSMC_UPSCALE is now GRAPHICAL_TFT_UPSCALE. Please update your Configuration.h."
Tried and cannot find the problem. What should be done to correct it ?
Thanks for your work.

jhawk736, the platformio editor running under visual studio has built in editor functions. Examine both configuration.h and configuration_adv.h, and do a "find and replace" for "FSMC_UPSCALE" with "GRAPHICAL_TFT_UPSCALE". Make sure you save the changes before you re-compile!

HOWEVER!!! I have had absolutely NO success using any Marlin after 2.0.5.3 on the Predator. I have managed to compile and install all versions up to Marlin 2.0.6.1, but always get a blank screen with no touch functions. Even Marlin 2.0.5.4 does this. Apparently the Marlins after 2.0.5.3 are relying on the MKS Robin board. Although the processor chip is identical, there is a subtle difference in the board pins, which results in a blank display and no touch functions, and I'm not smart enough to find the problematic file.

The final result of a successful compile is a "firmware.bin" file in the Marlin /pio/build/trigorilla_pro folder. This needs to be uploaded to the Predator using the ST Micro Demonstrator Flasher, after you remove and swap the appropriate two shunts (jumpers) on the Trigorilla board per the earlier posts and videos.

Just make VERY sure that the FIRST thing you do is store a copy of the Trigorilla's current firmware to a safe file. That way you have a way to go back to where you started if everything goes south.

Marlin 2.0.5.3 works extremely well, and I have been using it daily. The steppers are quieter and smoother. The hot end and heated bed control is much tighter, and the calibration is flawless. I also replaced the shunts (jumpers) on my Trigorilla with external switches, so I can just flip them from "Program" to "Run" every time I want to try a new Marlin compile (which I have done probably 30 times over the past month).

Is this the correct link for your mentioned Marlin 2.0.5.3 ?
https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/releases/tag/2.0.5.3
I still get compiling errors..

jhawk736, I don't have a github fork. Attached is the Marlin 2.0.5.3 that I am currently using. You can un-zip it and recompile, or directly use the "firmware.bin" in the pio/build/trigorilla_pro folder available after you un-zip this file.

I take absolutely no responsibility for bricking your printer, burning your house down, or any other aspects, positive or negative, of your use of this data.

PLEASE make a back-up of your current printer firmware BEFORE you make any attempts to change it!!!

Thank you for the file, will try out tonite.

rq3, thanks for prompt reply.
Yes, I've tried editing and got blank screen too.
Thanks for all the trial and error, so we need to focus on Marlin 2.0.5.3
Yeah, your jumper switch idea is brilliant, will mod mine for future marlin updates.

Marlin 2.0.6 does not work on the Trigorilla Pro. The latest bugfix does. You need to add the trigorilla pro environment to the platformio.ini file, rotate the display 180 degrees in configuration_adv.h, and set the y offset to 75 in configuration.h. Then compile. The base line Predator files are found in the bugfix release configurations under "delta:anycubic:predator".

I already created pull requests to fix the configuration, unfortunately there were a few issues in the versions I submitted for 2.0.6

Still having issues with a blank screen on 2.0.6.1. Any idea what could be causing this?

anyone have some updates on this?

The 2.0.5.3 zip provided works. As mentioned, physically flip the LCD. The cable is long enough. Undo 6 allen keys at the front, then the 4 holding the LCD. It helps to unclip the cable, and make sure it stays fully unclipped when reattaching it. They tend to lock up when plugging them in again.

To specify, backing up and installing the firmware requires removing a jumper and changing the 5V one to USB. Then you can power the board from USB, without the mains power, for uploading/downloading. There's instructions on github: https://github.com/SXHXC/Marlin-Anycubic-Predator-Trigorilla-PRO. Follow the video and download https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/flasher-stm32.html#get-software

You do not need to compile Marlin. Download the source for 2.0.5.3, and the firmware.bin should be in the folder ".pio/build/trigorilla_pro/firmware.bin". If it's not there, extract the zip again. Uploading the firmware can delete it from there. Just follow the video to backup and install Marlin 2. And don't forget to initialize te EEPROM and restore defaults.