Loading

Curling at edges

Please Login to Comment

I have a large STL that will go right to the extents of the build plate.
Everything lays down perfect and sticks well for 85-90% from center out, but that last outer bit close to the edge never gets close enough to stick down.
I have leveled and the probe hits all the points, is there anything else I can do?
The printer is really set up well and dialed in, I really want to use it for this STL

Is it actually a levelling issue or is it just the print is warping? If you print a single layer test print right out to the edge, (The self test print is pretty good for this), is there a change in the layer quality from the centre to the out ring? Very often the first layer goes down perfectly but the natural shrinkage of the model tends to pull at the extremities and cause the outermost parts to pull off the bed. Best answer is a temperature stable enclosure and try and keep yo bed and nozzle temperatures down to a minimum that will still ensure adhesion. The hotter stuff prints and the cooler the surrounding air, the more shrinkage and warping you'll experience. Might also be worth turning off or down the part cooling fan for the first few layers as this will introduce a bending stress on the model.

It is not that the print itself is curling up after being laid down properly. It is more that the print head never reaches far enough down on the edges of the build plate like it does in most of the center. When leveling, all the probe points hit with no problem. But when printing the head just doesn't go down far enough on the edges. I have read this is a common problem with deltas.

If your calibration and bed leveling are good, the Predator should print well from edge to edge. There are a few "quirks" of the Ultrabase bed that I have discovered over the years:
1) It's temperature from edge to edge is pretty inconsistent. Enclosing the printer helps alot. I use plastic panels that snap in to the vertical slots.
2) Depending on when you got your printer, the bed may not have been cleaned of manufacturing residue from the factory. I found that scrubbing the bed with hot water and dish detergent using a Magic Eraser, followed by a fresh water rinse, followed by an isopropyl alcohol rinse helped immensely. All kinds of residual crap came out of the "waffle pattern" on the bed.
3) I also found that the standard "paper test" for nozzle height is not close enough. The nozzle should barely skim the high points of the waffle pattern, so that it squeezes the first layer into the grooves in the pattern. If you can baby step down until the nozzle is almost, but not quite, actually scraping the bed it may help quite a lot. I usually run about 0.025 mm from the bed for the first layer, instead of the "standard" 0.1 mm.