Soldering Station?

Please Login to Comment

I have a small budget and would like to have a soldering station what do you people think of any of these they are all on Amazon
X-Tronic Model #3020-XTS
Aoyue 469 Variable Power
Yescom 937D

TS100 for sure.

I bought a 937D+ . Works just fine for my part time hobby. 350c to 370c works well so far for what I use the iron for.

I'd recommend any of the T12 STM32 based digitial soldering stations. They have a decent display, control and a small footprint. The availability and price of T12 tips can't be beat. The T12 tips aren't just tips like the models you've listed, they are tips, heater and thermocouple in a single piece inserted into the handle. This allows for quick changing of hot tips, fast accurate temp control (ambient to 300c in <10s.) beyond what the models you've listed are capable of and comparable to much more expensive units. If you need something portable, get a TS-100.
If you get any of the models you listed, be sure to source replacement heating elements and keep at least one spare, they can last years or a few days in my experience.

I looked at the Amazon web site and three irons shown should all work. My preference would be the "X-Tronic Model #3020-XTS". It is a 75 watt iron where the other two are 60 watt (I presently use a 90 watt X-tronic LF-8800 soldering station). That extra wattage is handy and only gets used when you have to heat something that is quite large. The other part I noticed was the tip cleaner in the iron holder stand. Personal opinion is that the brass tip cleaner on the X-tronic irons is better than using the sponges. Those sponges tend to cool your iron, are always dry requiring re-wetting, and worse yet if you try to clean your iron with a dry sponge it can damage your tip. Also look to see if the iron cord is flexible and burn-proof

I ordered my soldering station from: Howard Electronic Instruments Inc., https://www.howardelectronics.com/ You may want to look there before ordering anything. They have everything under the sun when I comes to soldering irons, parts, etc.

Make sure where you get an iron, it comes from a place that can also get you replacement parts. Take a look at trying to purchase replacement heaters, or tips for any iron you purchase.

Thanks for you knowledgeable opinion, For my hobby work I don't need to spend several hundred dollars for a soldering station the X-Tronic Model #3020-XTS was also my first choice

I have 3 936/7D style irons. and they are all different! The thermocouples are different values across the manufacturers so getting the correct replacement iron / heater element is not easy. Some are fitted with male plugs, some female, some just bare wires. The heater elements are not very physically strong, So I would order spares if I only had one iron. The whole "wand" is often cheaper than the element. I've have a yellow fronted "Katsu" which has had quite heavy use for over 6 years now. I'm on my second wand. I have a HVZKKO 836D which can be set as low as 100C which is great for low melt solder and plastic melting (3D print repairs/adjustments) , and a hot air 858D I use for SD reworking, chip removal and heat-shrink tubing . If you are professional engineer who switches on the iron every morning then get the very best otherwise, buy a cheapo with good specs. No one needs a soldering iron to last a lifetime. My first soldering iron was one I heated up in an open fire. I'm glad I don't have to still use it but I still have it somewhere in the shed.

Have a look on Banggood (www.banggood.com) at the TS-100 Soldering Iron.

https://www.banggood.com/MINI-TS100-Digital-OLED-Programable-Interface-DC5525-Soldering-Iron-Station-Sapphire-Version-p-1211661.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

It is a DC powered electronic controlled iron. You can set the temperature across a wide range using a digital display. The wide temperature range means that it cn solder both leaded solder, and un-leaded solder. You need to supply your own power supply between 12 and 24 Volts DC. In the workshop, I use an old 19 volt DC Laptop Power Supply. Away from the workshop, a 4S LiPo works well. Do a thorough search for the TS-100 on Banggood. There are many different packages, ranging from lower cost TS-100s with just one soldering tip, up to more costly packages with a case, multiple different style tips, solder sponge, and a stand for the TS-100.

I've owned a TS100 for about a year now, and it is now my go to iron for almost all my soldering work. At lower supply voltages, the iron will operate at a lower power rating. It will solder XT-60 connectors on a 19 volt power supply. Any soldering requiring more power/heat, would need you to find a 24 volt DC Power supply - a 5S Lipo will get close.

I hope that info is useful. Regards,

RoyG

Hakko stations will last your life. I have stations that went 10 years or more of almost daily use in industrial conditions. I have had lots of other brands and none have worked as well for as long. On a budget note weller is the only other one to mention. But if you want an iron that will last you for ever with no issues hakko.

I have a Weller WLC100, $40 on Amazon. Has analog control but mine works fine.

Buy once, cry once, get a Weller. This is almost the same price on Amazon: Weller WE1010NA Digital Soldering Station

The only time I ever needed to replace a soldering station in almost 40 years was when I relocated to the USA.

Don't buy Weller. A mains fuse to them is an extra, unnecessary protection.

Dave Jones
The Current Source

So somebody does not pay attention and smokes their device? Then somehow it is the manufacturers fault?

Some countries in the world require the inclusion of mains fuses in devices exported to and sold there.

Like I said small budget yes I would like to have that station but at my age it does not have to last 40 years

The Weller WLC100 is only $40. It's cheap for something that lasts forever. It heats up very fast, get's very hot, and has variable temperature. Hakko is very good, and is also complete overkill.

Well, my previous comment got flagged for linking youtube videos. SMFH...

Do not buy Weller, a mains fuse to them is extra protection you just don't need.

F*ing spam filters. Youtube> weller mains fuse> enter> Dave Jones at eevblog and The Current Source both have videos exposing Weller's unsafe practices.

Don't buy a Weller because it has something others don't? a fuse. Is that what you are saying.?

Lots of things don't have fuses. I mean, the heating element is a fuse, and it's already encased in electrical insulation. If it's UL-listed it's fine.

I suppose you didn't watch the video of Dave Jones, professional electrical engineer, complaining about it did you?

It's easier to replace a mains fuse than to rewind your primary coils. It's easier to replace a mains fuse than to rebuild your newly burnt home.

It's easier to say 'it's UL listed' than to give a shit too I guess.

I love a good tear down with Dave. Weller has some affordable stations, but there really is no reason not to chip in another .03 to have a mains fuse on the primary coil. You'll just end up with a nice paper weight if you plug into the wrong AC main along with whatever the smoldering primary coil side takes with it. It should heat up pretty well with the additional 14-19A that it gets before tripping a breaker.

I've had a low cost Weller in the past. It was alright for 1989, but in 2019 I'd expect a coil fuse. My Hakko is great too, but a little pricier than the others. My Aoyue is middle of the road. XYTronic makes some decently priced stations. I have one particular XYTronic station that was in the $60 range which has been going for at least 15 years now.

Burnt home? It's a soldering iron. The burning danger is already there. Don't you have circuit breakers to keep your house wiring from getting too hot? Your making an appeal to authority doesn't change the fact that a fuse isn't needed for a soldering iron. If it fails it fails open, that's the nature of a resistive heating element. Or are you using your iron for a pry bar?

I think I would prefer a hand-held tool such as an iron to be internally fused. I value my hand and my house more than the cost of a fuse. UK socket circuit wiring is protected at 32A and all portable appliances are fused at 13 (sometimes 5) . Far too high for the thin cord of a hand held 50W soldering iron in my book.