Data to graph and file from sensor

Please Login to Comment

I want to graph data form a vibration sensor and store the data to a file. Is using Tera Term or PLX DAQ the best and easiest way? Does anyone have any pointers or advice?

Using Tera term and the likes will require your PC to be conncted the whole time. You may need actual wires too, since vibe data might be too dense for a wireless uart solution. Nothing wrong with using an sd card though... lots of available libraries and breakouts for that. I usually use my "open flight blackbox" for logging data (it is a uart sd recorder device that is ubiquitous among the drone community... this you can find them all over the net for cheap). It is amazing the kind of data you can get from a black box and arduino... my flagship project with the device was a motor dyno... logged throttle position, thrust, torque, current, volts, rpm, temp, barometric pressure, xyz vibes, and derived calcs (like efficiency and power output) at 10ms sample time! Such delicious graphs, let me tell you! Coolest part was the sd could store the calibrations between uses.

That looks like the best way to go, I should have just ask you in the first place. I see there is a shield for the nano with RTC.
A project I had in mine was to use a Piezo ceramic vibration sensor connected to a printer print a cube then try a mod and print the cube again and compare. Just for the fun of it.

That does sound fun... imagine rigging a printer with assorted sensors covering the frame and other critical parts, and pushing it around a bit. You could visualize the motion/stresses throughout the frame with and without various mods. This would give valuable data that can be used to improve printers and make them more affordable. They do that routine extensively during EMD of a new aircraft. It is expensive and arduous work on that scale of complexity, but would be way fun and affordable on the scale of a printer!

Get a datalogging shield from Amazon for around $8. Extremely easy to use. Logs your data to SD card and also has a real time clock on the shield so you can timestamp your data in .csv format. Get the library for it from Adafruit.

Thanks I just picked up the arduino hobby a year ago so very new at it

I want to do that too. What sensor are you using and how do you mount it on the printer?

Ceramic Piezo vibration sensor thinking about mounting it to the frame of the printer print the same model and make mods to the printer and use the sensor to see it I have made a difference. Just for fun.

I wrote my own VBA code that directly reads from the serial port and populates an Excel spreadsheet, works well for me.

It will depend on the frequencies you want to measure. The speed of the serial port is the limiting factor here.
Can you tell me what is the maximum frequency you can record in this way?

For higher frequencies the data logging shield is the best idea...

What I am going to do is use a SD Card Memory Shield Module with a Arduino nano and the sensor that way I will not have to connect to my computer portable that way

Good idea, wish I'd have thought of that ;)

You did think of that.....I chose to use your idea
.csv format should work

Is the 10 bit ADC going to be enough resolution for your piezo?

I was jk, hope it works for you. You're measuring printer vibrations aren't you? I'd love to see your results.

I will find out if it works out, but it may be a while depending on how much time I have to work on this project. Between you and truglodite's
advice is where I came up with my plan. Like I said I am new at this just took up the hobby so I have a lot to learn and enjoy the experience

You could setup a nano with a SD card module and write the info to storage with the proper formatting for excel to understand.