Possible to print TPU with the stock setup?

Please Login to Comment

Hey folks, bought some TPU the other day and have tried a few test prints, cannot get it to print. Has anyone been able to print flexible filaments like TPU, NinjaFlex (prolly TPU too...), etc.?

I suspect it's a bowden tube problem, and a direct extruder would work. I couldn't get it to print on my other printer either, a MonoPrice Select Mini, that's also a bowden extruder, but the tube seems to have a larger internal diameter than the tube on the CR10.

Was hoping the more snug fit of the 1.75mm filament in the bowden tube of the CR10 would allow it to feed into the extruder's hot end, but I'm not so sure now.

Thanks in advance for the help...

For me it depends on the actual TPU used... With Ninjaflex Cheetah (95A) it kind of works, with dasfilament TPU (90A, softer) it's impossible. Slow (10-15mm/s) and on the hotter side of the filament recommendation, without retraction - that will give you the best chance. Good luck!

As a general rule, you want as steady a printing as possible - slow speed helps, but using the same speed for infill, outer walls, inner walls, EVERYTHING can really help.

It works for me with 20mm/sec print speed and no retraction using the original extruder and hot end.

Haven't printed with PTFE yet but did print out a new extrude guide to be ready to like this one...https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2144277

Good luck.

Flexible Filament Extruder Upgrade for Creality CR-7, CR-10, Ender 2, Ender 3
by joshvv

I can print Sainsmart TPU after reducing the speed down to 10 mm/s and turning off retractions completely. The main issue was the small gap between the extruder gear and the connector to the bowden tube. It doesn't happen right away...but if the speed is set any higher than 10 mm/s, usually half way into the print, the filament will jam there after curling up. I recently replaced the stock extruder with a MacEwan3D Flexi Plus (https://macewen3d.com/collections/upgrades-for-cr-10/products/mk8-extruder-aluminum-drive-feed-for-cr-10-cr-10-s4-and-cr-10-s5) but haven't tried printing TPU with it yet.