Clicky

CR-10 Smart Pro.

Please Login to Comment

When I start a print from home, the extruder raises about 2mm, moves to the print area, and starts to print in the air. I pushed the "reset all" on the LCD screen, but this has not fixed the issue, I'm also new'ish to 3D printing so any suggestions would be appreciated. I see it an issue that seems to pot it's ugly head up from time to time with other CR10's.

How are you printing the model. (1) direct from stl or (2) using a slicer (like cura) to generate the gcode file and then print the gcode file?

Even as a sanity check, you should use a slicer like cura to preview how the model would print - the bottom layer has to touch the bed, and any extreme overhangs should have support to the bed. If nothing works, use a raft support in slicer just to print the whole thing and then cut out the support pieces after you print.

Provided your Z Axis is correctly calibrated to 50µ using a sheet of paper, the cause might be your slicer. E.g. a Z-offset = 2mm or a mistake within the prefix or profile. To find out what is happening, slice a small object, and load the gcode into an editor to see what happens after the G28; "home all axis" instruction. Usually G28 is followed by an intro sequence that cleans the nozzle and a jump to travel height. I.e. something like

G1 X0 Y0 Z0.25 F1000.0 ; intro start position
G1 X50.0 E7.5 F400.0 ; intro line
G1 X100.0 E15.0 F800.0 ; intro line
G1 E10.0 F2400.0 ; destring suck
G1 X95.0 E15.0 F800.0 ; wipe
G1 Z1.0 ; travel height
G92 E0.0 ; reset extruder position

however, if you find a G92 Z0 E0 instead (or something similar) the extruder will start to print in the air, as the z-position is reset.

Another cause might be a missing G90 ; absolute mode instruction.

The G-code profile looks fine so far. It depends what happens after G92 Z2.0 F3000 ;Move Z-Axis up, which prepares the travel to the print position.
Just slice a small cube and check what you get with an editor after the sequence you showed.

Parkinbot,

Thank you for your reply, it's appreciated. I haven't had a chance to play with the Gcode over the last week or so but I will have a go this evening and see what I have or haven't got. Can I touch base with you later on if things go a little pear shape, please? It's nice to ask someone who knows what they are talking about.
I have a file with the G-codes from Creality Slicer, can you have look and see what you think, there is a "G92 Z0 E0", so can I just remove it, or do I need to replace the G-code with something else?

I am following this thread. You also can write me a PM.

Parkinbot,

Sorry, but a "PM" is what ??

PM is a private message.