The only thing I like about the original printer was that:
- It was small
- Had rails for guides
- Cast aluminum frame.
- Dual Extruder :O
What I liked about the modifications to the Cube 3 after:
- No more noise, the plastics casing housing amplified it so much.
- Marlin Firmware for ultimate flexibility (1.1.8)
- Trigorilla Board Dual extruder support and Nice all round board
- TMC2208 stepper drivers with STEALTH CHOP! (X and Z movements are silent, wouldn't know they are moving without looking at them)
- Dual Extruder capability still.
- Hotend hot swap (Can use single V5 or V6 E3D Extuders for single extruder, or Chimera/ Cyclops for dual extrusion)
- The Mechanical feel of the exposed system is nerdy and very satisfying to watch, can describe it like a meticulously crafted Rolex time piece when watching the auto homing clicking of the mechanical switches and the quiet movement.
- Build Volume 170mm x 170mm by 145mm
- Spring Loaded filament extruder design, using only the old teeth pinion thing from the Cube 3 filament cartridge.
- Stock Steppers are used, no need for changes there.
- Most of the mounting holes are stock from whats already drilled into the frame, with the exception of the three limit switch mounting holes.
The end result looks like this...