Speed up printing times

Please Login to Comment

Hello,
Relatively new to this and really enjoying
I am using Cura 4.2.1
Is there any way I can shorten printing times, I am printing relatively small objects at the moment, on standard settings, but takes quite a time, though to be honest I do see a lot of people are printing objects which take days
I printed a snowman about 125 mm high, took 5.5 hours
Thanks in advance

Depends on things but... What's your current printing speed set to? My usual print speed is the default 50mm/s. Lately I've been experimenting with print times and upped the speed to 60mm/s, which printed fine so then to 88mm/s and that printed fine too. I made no other changes. My next experiment will be to 100mm/s. When I see how that goes I might settle on a speed I can trust and play with some other settings, see how they affect things.
I don't mind long prints that I can leave overnight but I get impatient during the day and what them done more quickly.

Hi, I've been running a number of very large prints on my CR10SPro lately and these are the knobs I usually try adjusting first to get times down - using a 0.4mm nozzle.

• Layer height, for big prints I use 0.24mm normally
  • walls - 2 is usually fine
  • infill - gyroid, usually between 10-25% depending on what it is for, you can also use grid and "gradual infill steps" to reduce unnecessary infill.
  • supports - aside from orientation of the model and increasing the overhand % to reduce them, it helps to use "enable conical supports" in the experimental settings

Those are the things I try first at least, and they can knock several hours off prints. For example, one went from 1d 10h with 3 walls to 1d 5h with 2 walls (not changing anything else). For something like the snowman, you can easily reduce walls and infill - if you plan to paint it. Low # of walls and infill % may show though though and even make a patterned appearance on the surface, so it is a trade off. Good luck.

Thanks, all a great help

No problem. I just ran into another setting today that can greatly impact print times depending on the situation. If the print has walls that are too thin to be filled with lines based on the number of walls being used, the thin walls may get filled up with a ton of zig zag patterns which are very time consuming to print. But changing the shell> top/bottom pattern from Lines to Concentric can really shave time off the print because it swaps the zig-zags with lines. I ran into this today with a print for my Rpi 5" display and it cut off several hours from the print with only that one change. Obviously it really depends on the situation of course. I use Cura 4.1.0 though, and this behavior may have changed in newer versions. Also the walls may not be as strong as with the zig-zag type infill pattern, but in this case (pardon the pun) it is a shell for a case which is more aesthetic than structural.

Check out a couple of youtube channels: Makers Muse, 3d Printing Nerd, and CNC Kitchen
All 3 have done videos on various different techniques for improving print quality, speed, strength, and appearance.
While the question you are asking seems simple, the answer is not. Print time is a compromise between many variables, in short, yes you can put a 0.8mm nozzle on it, print at the max temp for the material, or slightly higher, and put your layer height to about a 0.4mm layer height, it will look like a small child molded it out of clay, but your print will be done much quicker. You could just do it in vase mode if you are looking to have it pretty, but no structural integrity, and there is always the option of making the print actually a mold for another medium, so you could then print it once, and use that mold to cast many others of the same things. It really comes down to what your printer is capable of, what the requirements are of your printer and material you are using, and what is expected of the resulting product. I just finished a 4 part print, which is a WWII Jeep shell for an R/C car I have, each part took about 18h, and then I had to glue them all together. so that was really 4 days worth of printing. The end result is in line with what I was needing for my purposes, I am now printing 15 piece enclosure and mounting system for a solar-powered 360-degree trail camera network which consists of 4 cameras, 4 motion sensors, one raspberry pi running MotionEye OS, and an old router to connect them all in the field. the cameras and sensors will be in their own cases and those cases placed within a housing. The housing will have hoods over each camera and sensor group, pointing in 4 different directions, and a roof over the top. All of that roughly 80mm cube will be mounted on top of a gimbal system to provide a stable operating platform. The gimbal is placed atop a tripod made of poles with a counter ballast suspended below the gimbal. All of that will run off of the 50W solar panel, and 2 batteries, to provide adequate DC power for the whole system. 12V 1A for the router, 5V3A for the RPI, 5V500mA for each camera and sensor. It will have a nominal pull of 37W, allowing the 50W panel to recharge the batteries during the day, and discharge them overnight. The RPI will monitor the 4 video streams and record motion from each of the streams based on changes in the frames fed to it. the sensors will be used to turn on the camera's flash, when motion is detected during the night. This project will be only about 42h worth of printing total.

Many thanks for your very informative reply
I have to realise t cannot be done quickly and accept it to have good quality items
Its a great learning curve and people like yourself on the forums are so helpful
many thanks again

the most you can do is increase print speed, lower quality/increase layer height, and less infill, the most infill you need for most things is about 20%

Many thanks for your help
I realise quality means time taken so i will stick with what i am doing
Thanks again