I am just starting this amazing project and have a few parts printed. However, I am having a little trouble sourcing the springs. Especially the ones linked on eBay because they are out of stock. Have been doing some searching but can't come up with anything. Anybody get their springs elsewhere?
First, thank you for sharing this with us. It's going to be a long road to getting all done, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge. I've been enamored with the Curta ever since I learned about it at the Computer History Museum.
To that end, I've been going through the build manual to plan out the parts to print. I'm having some trouble matching up the "Parts Required" names with the various file names. Does anyone have a map between the two?
For example, the first instructions call for Support Column. Is that framesupport-_frame_support?
I stumbled upon this build while looking for complicated mechanisms to test out the capabilities of the FormLabs Form 2 in making precision mechanical components/systems. I think there is little question that a Curta fits that build.
However I note that this build is based around using Fused Filament prints. I'm wondering, for those who are already familiar with the 3d geometry and the development of these cad models, what further consideration should be taken in attempting to print the components using an SLA printer. Should the extra "stock on" of the 3d models be reduced, or eliminated? As I understand it the interfacing components in the models are designed to have interference, with the intent of manually grinding the surfaces to match. I'm wondering if it is practical to reduce this stock on.
Additionally, what would be the bottle neck to scaling the build down? Would a 2:1 assembly be practical? Obviously all the non-printed components such as hardware, bearings, springs, etc would have to be re-assessed and new components sized. I imagine the entire assembly would need to be redesigned as opposed to simply scaling the solids and hitting the go button. My question is, would such a thing be practical? What trial components/fits could one start with to substantiate that the redesign of the assembly to a different scale would not be a wasted effort?
Any and all feedback is welcome. Thank you.
Had a ton of failed prints on my upper housing. Prusa MK2s, Hatchbox PLA. Failed after about 10-20 layers down, the tiny contact area of the sharp edge was not enough to stick. Tried a raft, increasing supports, forcing supports, etc. Played with temps etc, all same result and print came loose. Finally setup the contact area to be .15 vs .2 on the supports, as well as forced supports for 20 layers and it stuck. I did print it threads "down" because that again increased supports to increase contact area. The supports came off just fine with only a touchup of sanding on the threads.
I am trying to minimize painting BTW on my first one...just because I "Like" the printed look.
Just a FYI if anyone is having problems that is something to check.