E3Dv6 heatcreeps.

Please Login to Comment

So i use it's stock heatsink fan, and CR10_VOLC_MANUAL_BASE from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2759439/files on my ender 3 pro

And i keep getting heatcreeps. Is it due to the retraction distance of 5.8? As i was told it could be the retraction distance as i can print 3 or 4 30mm tall benchies for my GF for a game she's making, then it clogs. should i go direct drive instead?

Temps: 215 PLA
Bed: 76 (glass bed on thermal pads)
Speed: 35mm's
Retraction: 5.8mm and 38mm's peed with bowden

Petsfang Duct for CR10 MicroSwiss/Stock/E3Dv6/Volcano/TevoTornado /Tarantula Hot End/E3Dv6 CNC Mount & 5015 fan Bullseye Blokhead
by dpetsel

Hi, one more thing to consider if you are getting clogs is the z-offset. If you have a z-offset that is too small and the first layer is going down too squished, that creates back pressure and can lead to a clog either on the first layer or shortly after. Often a first layer will look nice, but if looks like the top surface of the first layer was "combed" by the nozzle it's probably too low. If you suspect this, try bumping the z-offset by 0.05 mm and see if that helps.

I think your retraction distance of 5.8 mm is too high. This is also confirmed by E3D (See link below).
Possible solutions include:
1) increase the travel speed to 250 mm/s and reduce the retraction distance as much as possible. Shortening the non extruding move duration reduces the need for large retraction distances
2) reduce the nozzle temperature: Lower temperatures => less oozing => lower retraction distances
3) enable pressure advance if your firmware/hardware allows.
4) switch to a direct drive system: The shorter PTFE tube between the extruder and the hotend allows to use small retraction distances. I use a retraction distance of only 1 mm with my direct drive and never have had any clogging with the E3D V6.
5) Make sure to use a genuine E3D V6 heatbreak. Most clones have an incorrectly designed heatbreak that allows heat to go up from the hot side to the cold side (see https://3dprinting.stackexchange.com/questions/10998/e3d-v6-original-vs-clone)

Hope this helps.

From https://wiki.e3d-online.com/E3D-v6_Troubleshooting :

"A common issue is massively excessive retraction distances. In direct configurations retraction of 0.5 to 2mm is all that should be needed for ooze-free prints. We use around 0.6mm for ABS that oozes very little, and 2mm for the very floppy flexible filaments that like to ooze a great deal and need a good tug to pull back the soft filament from the melt zone. For PLA we stick with retraction settings no higher than 0.8mm.

Bowden configurations are more tricky as the amount of retraction needed is dependent on factors such as the length of tubing and the stiffness of the filament has more impact on the needed retraction. A good starting place is around the 2mm mark, which you can increase if required.

Retractions of 5mm or more are troublesome as they pull hot filament up into the cold areas of the hotend where they can freeze, adhere and jam"