Clicky

Z-axis moving whenever homing X and Y axis

Please Login to Comment

I recently upgraded my Ender 3 V2 to a Creality 4.2.7 silent board (best thing ever!!), but since there wasn't anything wrong with the 4.2.2 board I had before, I decided to use it in a different project together with some nema stepper motors I had lying around. I notice now that whenever I home the X or Y axis (with G28) the Z axis always gets moved first. This was never a problem when the board was used for my 3D printer, but in this other application, I need to be able to home the Z-axis first and then have it stay in place while homing the other two axis. Does anyone know if there is a way to suppress this Z-axis movement?? I would prefer to not have to change, recompile and reflash the firmware if there is an easier way to do this.
Thanks in advance

Hello, I am not sure I understand what you describe, but maybe have a look at your G-code preamble: the first instructions will bring your Z axis up to clear the head from the plate.

For example in Cura:
G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent...

First off, sorry for not getting back to this in a timely manner and I really appreciate the response. If I understand "preamble" correctly it is the beginning of an e.g. Cura generated gcode file, but this is not what I'm doing. I control my machine using the terminal on octoprint and I create my own G-code files (we are talking a couple of hundred lines), so my preamble is very limited. But even when I manually enter the "G28 X" or "G28 Y" I see Z-axis movement before the X or Y axis are homed. I get your point about clearing the head from the plate, which makes good sense in a 3D printer, but in my application it creates a problem.

Thanks for the details. Not using Octoprint, I can hardly help more. Is there a way to check what Octoprint is sending?