Random line is being printed on the left side of the bed

Please Login to Comment

I've been using my Ender Pro 3 for a little over a month, and the journey has not been without it's speedbumps. My first Cura profile was a copy of the one posted by Flying Junkies (see youtube link below). A few minor tweaks along the way, and the profile worked beautifully for my needs and my projects were coming out smoothly, to include a wonderful benchy. About a week ago I had computer issues that corrupted my Cura profile and I had to start over, so I went back to that original video and copied the settings back over.
I quickly noticed that something was different, even wrong. Simple prints were showing 12+ hours after slicing and significant tweaking was required to bring down the print time to a reasonable level, but still much longer print times than what I was dealing with before. That's more of an inconvenience than anything. What concerns me, is how every print now starts and I have no idea why.
At the start of every print, the machine lays down a single line (see photos) along the left side of the print bed, then doubles back and tries to lay the line a second time. This second pass on the same layer causes the extruder to skip and I'm worried this will damage the motor or cause feed issues down the line because it sounds like the feed gear thingy is just eating away at the PLA before it even goes into the bowden tube.
A long winded post, I know, but I'd rather give too much info than too little. Any assistance would be appreciated, as I'm feeling a little out of my depth here.

(youtube link to my current Cura settings)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD7MigGaKFw

I agree with the other partners I also do the same with my ender 3

CyricusMortimer is correct. It's part of the G-Code used to purge the nozzle and get the filament flowing prior to beginning your print.

I've had my Cura behave like that with the "prime line" since I got into 3D printing a few months ago. I think it could removed by editing the Start G-code for the printer in Cura->Preferences->Printers->Machine settings. I haven't tested editing it myself however.

I think the prime line is a good thing, it shows you if your too close to the bed or not close enough and also cleans out the nozzle before it starts printing. I have been looking for the g-code to make my I3 mega do the same thing.

I agree! I think it's a really good feature. Adhesion, nozzle cleanup and filament flow test right from the start, easy to clean up and if the bed is too close to the nozzle the scratch will happen on an area where it will cause minimal harm to the bed surface.

The line is supposed to be there, mine does it too. I believe it's to clear the nozzle and get a clear flow going.

Looking at your pictures I'd say your bed is too high. The nozzle isn't supposed to dig into the bed like that.

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EfWVUJjBdA

As for the print times I would guess that you've probably picked a finer layer height under profiles. Thinner the layers the longer it takes to print.

Following this guy's method of bed-leveling has in fact addressed the concern I had. Won't know for certain until my current print is finished, but all seems well. Thank you

Thank you for the video, it's informative. I'll download the guy's gcode momentarily and try to perfect the bed leveling. Currently, I have sets of wingnuts holding the adjustment knobs in place since I got tired of re-leveling the bed every other print,
If the line is supposed to be there, then I'll calm down a little about it. My only cause for concern is that I ran this machine for a few weeks without that line, and it only appeared after I had to reset my Cura profile.

I put a sheet of borosilicate glass, then PEI build surface on top of mine. Had to remove the stock build surface and raise the Z limit slightly for it to fit. Stock springs were nice and tight after that, no issues yet.

Regarding the wingnut use, you might want to switch out the bed springs for a stiffer set. It puts more pressure on the adjustment knobs & makes them less likely to move from just vibration. You can look for 8mm OD 20mm long light load springs. I bought some via Amazon when I first set up my Ender 3 & have had zero issues with adjustment knobs moving on their own.