firmware update through cura

Please Login to Comment

Hey guys Im new to 3d printing and was hoping for some help updating firmware. Now I do not have an arduino so I am forced to do it through cura. I have connected my printer to my windows 7 PC with the mini usb cable and done everything right. I struggle with getting the correct .HEX file and weeding through the zip file I downloaded from http://marlinfw.org/docs/basics/install.html. I thought I had the right one but when I began the update the said failed to communication error. I proceed to try multiple cables and even my windows 10 laptop.I could rely use and appreciate help.

did you build or buy your enclosure, its pretty cool

I just went through this with my own Ender 3 so I didn't have to worry about the Thermal Runaway error.

Yes, you do need a Arduino Uno board and some jumper wires to install the Boot Loader on the Ender 3, Cura can't load the firmware because Creality left out the Boot Loader making it impossible to update the Ender 3 without doing this first. Lots of discussion why but it comes mostly down to memory space available on the Ender 3 logic board. Once the Boot Loader is installed you don't need to install it again to do another firmware update.

I used several YouTube videos as my guide for setting up the Arduino Uno and loading the firmware, I think they could help you as well.

Guide for loading the Boot Loader:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIl5X2ffdyo

I would skip the TH3D firmware, it caused me more problems and I ended up updating again a few days later to the Mariln 1.1.9 firmware instead.

Use this next video after the Boot Loader is installed as a guide for installing the Marlin 1.1.9 firmware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAKyZd63_ns

After the firmware update I had issues printing from Cura 3.6.0 because of timeout setting in Cura, you can find the fix for that in the Cura forums.

This is exactly what I needed. God bless.

you need to burn a bootloader before you can update through usb.
for burning a bootloader you can use a arduino uno (it doesnt have to be a genuine one), or a raspberry pi which you could use afterwards for octoprint or a usb isp module. you will also need a few female to female and a male to female jumper wires.

After burning the bootloader you can connect the printer to your computer and use the arduino IDE to flash new firmware.

I believe that you must use the ARDUINO IDE. I have never seen the CURA firmware update actually work. I did have to install this Driver. "CH341SER" in place of the original USB Driver for the ARDUINO to communicate. The original driver simply would not work.

thank you for the help........why do you think cura has the option to update firmware then.

The firmware is primarily intended for UTILIMAKER Printers, so I am thinking that if you have one of their printers, then this option will be available to use on their printers only. Just my speculation.

I think you must be right. This would explain everything.

Sorry but i really dont think you can do it with cura im quite sure you need a arduino board ... I could be wrong but ive never seen it or heard it being successfully without the arduino

First of all thanks for responding so quickly......I belive it could be posible because cura has the has the option (update firmware), but you are probably right; can you think of anything ells that might be wrong with what I am doing or find the file Id need. no worry's if not

You need to make sure you unzip the folder first in most cases because their micht be more than one file.... So you can go through your slicers import fucnction and pick your files through there....

You don't need a ARDUINO ide board and wires. I have used a simple usbasp like this on my Anet and Ender several times. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-USB-ISP-Programmer-For-ATMEL-AVR-ATMega-ATTiny-51-Development-Board/122033382504?epid=506504199&hash=item1c69c1a468:g:trUAAMXQgJRQ9PXs&frcectupt=true

But you DO need to download a current version of the free Arduino software.