Clicky

Z axis wont go up but will with the lightest touch

Please Login to Comment

Comment has been deleted
This comment is currently flagged for moderation.
Comment has been deleted
This comment is currently flagged for moderation.
Comment has been deleted

I understand your puzzlement. I find it easier to believe in mechanical failures than electrical ones. Sometimes, just handling things makes a difference.
Most motors do draw a surge current, until they start moving. I can see where a bit of stiction may create more demand than the driver could supply.
If you connect your Z axis drive signal to the X axis, does the problem transfer to the x axis?
Can you measure volts or amps on those lines?
Willing to swap a different motor into the Z axis drive position?

Hi, excellent idea! I did try a brand new motor on the z but I had the same issue. Just plugged Y into the z on the board and the build plate won’t move telling me that jlow was correct, it’s a board problem. I did find the adjustment screw but turning it didn’t do anything.

Need to check the voltage on it with a meter and then adjust it the right direction to up it. Let us know where its at.
Edit try a different cable into Z could be the cable has an issue rather then the controller.

Sounds like you are on the right track, then.
Sorry for your troubles.

It sounds like the stepper amplifier is not putting out enough voltage. On some PCBs it is adjustable with a screwdriver and the chip is replaceable but a quick Google search shows that it is soldered on the Ender PCB with no adjustment. You may need a new PCB.

Thank you, that’s my thinking now that the board has gone also. Really appreciate your help.

If you do have to replace the board, then go for the new 1.1.5 silent version. The noise difference from the old drivers to the new ones is amazing, and it comes with other goodies like thermal runaway protection, a newer firmware (with some very useful new features) and a bootloader.

Thanks, im going to order a replacement when payday rolls around so i'll take a look at them

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all your suggestions. After trying them all I can now determine it is a board problem so I’ll get a replacement. Thanks again to everyone that’s helped, it’s really appreciated. To all who might be interested, I did find the adjustment screw mentioned above by ender3guy and the screwdriver is pointing to it.

Just out of curiosity how did you know it wasn't the wire to that motor did you try swapping just the wire from another stepper the whole thing both ends I have had bad wires do the same thing just wondering well wasnt actually the wire the connection to the wire wasnt crimped from factory with enough wire exposed. Im glad you found out it was board but when you swap x on board to z on board you get same problem? on x oh and another thing I have a ender 3 board nothing wrong with it I just upgraded.. v 1.4 has marlin on it and bootloaded.

Hi, i tried a replacement wire that came with the replacement motor i ordered. Also swapped the cable with the one from the x axis and the probem remained. I also tried plugging the y axis into the z axis on the board and it wouldnt move meaning that the board is the issue from the z port. The adjustment screw didnt do anything so i think a new board is in the horizon.

In regards to your spare board what price are you looking for? im in the Uk so is shipping an option?

You can have the board just take care of shipping it im in Georgia in USA. Msg me if you do.

You know just turning the screw on the board without using a multi-meter is not going to work? The idea is that your not getting correct voltage to the stepper driver it should be around .65 .70V to provide enough torque to move the axis. just turning the pot screw won't adjust the voltage properly and possibly could damage the driver. So meter, alligator clips and a small metal driver is the best way to check if your driver is working and providing the correct voltage. Testing you clip the negative to the ground line. clip the positive to the screwdriver ** touch only the pot screw and read the voltage while adjusting to required voltage. This would make certain if you need a new board or not.

You know just turning the screw on the board without using a multi-meter is not going to work? The idea is that your not getting correct voltage to the stepper driver it should be around .65 .70V to provide enough torque to move the axis. just turning the pot screw won't adjust the voltage properly and possibly could damage the driver. So meter, alligator clips and a small metal driver is the best way to check if your driver is working and providing the correct voltage. Testing you clip the negative to the ground line. clip the positive to the screwdriver ** touch only the pot screw and read the voltage while adjusting to required voltage. This would make certain if you need a new board or not.