Layer Lines

Please Login to Comment

Hey guys,
maybe you can help me. I have an ender 3 v2 for 3-4 weeks now. I've dug into the topic like a madman and know quite alot already. I adjusted each and every screw, checked belts, tensions and everything.
Overall i'm really happy with the printer and the results / quality.

But.. I have an issue and i hope i can express that clearly... whenever something breaks a monotonous extrusion, like a hole in a wall or some Text and stuff.. i get a very visible line - always at the beginning AND ending of those layer changes. I cant seem to find an answer on the internet. I have quite clean extrusions in generel.. so there is no general z banding or hopping or anything else - at least i think so.. its only when there is a change in layer extrusion or a lot of top layer, like that one special line on a benchy where the boat floor is printed.

Just as im writing this little article and look at the pictures, i realise there are regular small lines too.. i try to show them with arrows..

Do you have a clue how i can fix this?

Hey, how's it going? First thing you want to do is something that I saw you already did, was to check your hardware and make sure that it is solid and put together well. It's super annoying to try and troubleshoot a problem and then hours later find out that it was a crossed wire or your gantry was loose. Once all that is is correct move on to your settings. These are things that will tend to change as new updates get made to Cura or whatever RIP program you may be using.
Check out this video by CHEP on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXSqZ68UdsE
I found that anytime I have issues it will tend to be with my settings and or having my extrusion to high or too low. He always seems to be on point with his settings and/or how to tweak them.
Well keep printing and welcome to the fun!
Rafael

This is a quite common look. The stepper motors from the ender are limited in its possible steps per rotation. This leads, in some cases when the next layer is positioned just a bit differently, that the stepper starts and stops at maybe 1 or 2 steps away from the position he was for the layer below.

Also, the motors can (not regularly) induce a back emf to the mainboard which can cause a false information for the CPU.
The addition of TL Smoother is a good choice here. They are quite cheap and will cancel any emf current induced by the motors. Maybe this can help a little bit. Only 5-7 $ on Amazon for 4 Smoother.
Some information about stepper motos can be found here: https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Choosing_and_connecting_stepper_motors#Section_Back_emf_due_to_rotation

Pls don't fool him with smoothers. And there is microstepping as you know for sure. With trinamic drivers smoothers have none or barely visible effect and maybe only when pushed to the edges. Additionally solomon skin is sympthom of driver problems what isnt this case. https://blog.trinamic.com/2018/08/09/tl-smoothers-do-3d-printers-really-need-them/

This is typical for the printer, it's probably a small inconsistency in the XY movement or extrusion. It's also can be the material quality.
the part around the letters called ghosting. its very small and could be a result of resonance effect between the printer and the surface its on (table/shelf).

I don't think that is the issue here. I can't really see ghosting in this case. There is no ringing/ghosting/halo effect after the letter, it's just those two lines at the bottom and top, to be honest.

I rally shore the problem is physics in the printer.

do you have the original extrude or did you update to the BMG?

Have you tied cleaning the extruder and the teflon tube?

What slicer are you using? Can you attach stl?

I'm relatively new to the Ender scene myself. There are tons of settings to play with in the slicer.

Where do you have the zipper (z seam)? It might be a good idea to force it into one position.

Im using the recent Cura Slicer and its a wine bottle holder (file: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2459369);

z seam is sharpest Corner, wich is on the outside and the hole in the middle and the up most right of the text (letter N).

0.2 layer height
0.4 layer width
2 wall lines
standard 0.8mm top bottom thickness / 3 layers
50 mm/s speed
25 wall speed
150 travel speed
6mm retraction at 40 mm/s speed

nothing comes to my mind, which should cause this... -_-

Balanced Wine Holder
by gimrim

Another small point I noticed. Make all your settings a multiple of both the layer height and width.

For example

"standard 0.8mm top bottom thickness / 3 layers"

If they are not the slicer tries to apply the non even division by either under or over extruding. If over extruding this can lead to some of the blobs you can see on the print.

Also download and run a retraction test print. If you are under retracting this can also lead to that extra blob at the end of a layer

could it be because of the seam? every point where the seam is, its a little bit shifted maybe?

Yeah maybe try forcing the z seam into one position.

Mh.. good guess. Maybe you are right! But nevertheless, should it behave like that? i mean.. i can position the seam wherever i want, i will never be able to get rid of it when holes are involved in a print.. there will always be a z seam at the hole position, right? should it, despite an existing visible seam, have a visible horizontal layer over the whole print?... its.. not satisfactory

i think you ARE right, at least about the cause of the problem. its the seam!
If i look at picture "2" and "seam1" the alignment matches completely.

Questions is, how can i get rid of that print behaviour?

Another idea would be to give up.

And play around with the "new" experimental FUZZY settings. There are like 3 or 4 levers to play with.

They are amazing in the right application. You will never see the layer lines.

I did one with a very subtle FUZZY and it came out amazing.

Find the setting Z Seam Alignment and set it to User Defined.

Then set the Z Seam Position setting to a corner, like BACK LEFT. Experiment. Find one where the zipper is in a "perfect line: from top to bottom. This will make every layer stop and stop in the same place. Yes the big hole in the middle might still give you some grief.